Deciding between 2 Nikons

Invisible_Ink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to buy my first SLR and I'm really wanting a Nikon. I've used a Nikon point and shoot and I fell in love with the Nikkor lens. I don't want to spend too much, so it's either the D40 or the D60.

They both have similar ratings from customer reviews and similar features, so the decision is a bit difficult.

does anyone have experience with either of these?

Agreed, I would do the D60

This came up recently in another thread. I personally would go with the D40 over the D60.

Ken Rockwell explains this better than I can so here's his reviews:

Nikon D40

Nikon D60

In short - he also perfers the D40 to the D60. Saying the D60 is a "slightly downgraded version of the D40 but with more pixels and a higher price". I recommend you read both of his reviews I posted above and then go out to a shop and ask if you could test each model. See which one suits you best. I actually thought the D60 functioned a tad bit slower than the D40.

Not more Ken Rockwell stuff....:waiting:

Not more Ken Rockwell stuff....:waiting:

:mrgreen: I see you must be one of those who have more experience with these 2 cameras than he does. Could you tell me what parts of the reviews that I posted above are incorrect? Might be very helpful for the OP (and myself) to know.

Also, what would be you're reasoning behind going with a D60 instead of a D40? Just curious? Details are always more helpful than just quick snips.

OP - as I said earlier - go out and ask if you can test both at a shop. See which one suits you best. Don't buy one just because it's the newer version (doesn't always make it better).

thanks for those. I'll head up to best buy or something and check them out today

/thread

Most reactions

Back