Deciding between two Canon Primes, HELP!

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've dropped in, I have been busting' my keester with work lately and have done quite a bit of change with my photography. As of late I have been diving into the food photography world while still offering weddings/portraits. I recently completely switched up my lenses & gone totally prime: sold my 24-105 4.0 L, for a 135mm L & upgraded my 50m 1.8 to the 50m 1.4.
Now I'm looking for a "shorter" prime, I'm stuck between the 35mm 1.4 L & the 24mm 1.4 L

HELP!!

My new 135mm has spoiled me with a sharpness & color contrast that rocks my friggin' world (not to mention the bokeh is cheesecake smooth!) so I'm trying to find a prime under 35mm with an aperture between 1.2-2.0 that will deliver similar if not better results. I know I want to continue prime. I knew as soon as my 24-105 was getting out shot by my $100 nifty fifty that I loved prime so much more. Not even for the 70-200mm IS II will I go back to zooms. If you have experience with the above lenses please share your pros & cons and if you have a different prime to recommend please do!!

Some recent foodie & people work:

Peet's Coffee & Tea "Wild & Fresh" shoot

sunny (1 of 1)-2.jpg

"Date Night Dream" sessions I'm currently promoting

slide (15 of 26).jpg

35mm gives a more normal, non-distorted look at the corners of the frame, while the 24mm length has a much more pronounced wide-angle feel to its images; if you want a more naturalistic look, the 35mm length is the better choice; if you want a more "distant" background look, the 24mm lens would work better for that. I'm not really sure the 35mm f/1.4 lens is worth the money over the smaller, lighter 35/2. For people work at closer ranges, the 24mm distorts the size of whatever is closer to the camera by a pretty good margin, making it less useful in many typical posing situations where one person is in front of another, or closer to the lens. Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 ART lens is gaining a following. I personally like the smaller 35/2 sized lens for working with "real, regular people"...I think these oversized lenses often freak out some people, people who are not used to a camera being pushed into their face everyday sometimes react negatively toward oversized lenses, and feel less threatened by SMALL, unassuming lenses, which is what a 35/2 is.

Most reactions

Back