Deciding on camera/lens...

OK, I've narrowed it down in terms of lenses. I've decided on the Nikon D7100 body, but now comes another question. Go with a bundled lens to save some cash, or go with a Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (or thereabouts)?

OK, I've narrowed it down in terms of lenses. I've decided on the Nikon D7100 body, but now comes another question. Go with a bundled lens to save some cash, or go with a Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (or thereabouts)?

i have been extremely happy with my D7100 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Good. That's at the top of the list at the moment. Unless, of course, there's a bundle deal with a Nikon 17-55 f2.8, like Tailgunner's got for sale. I'm so glad to have this narrowed down... sheesh. This seems counter-intuitive, but I'm sick of looking at DSLRs. I'd much rather be hunting for restoration projects.

Good. That's at the top of the list at the moment. Unless, of course, there's a bundle deal with a Nikon 17-55 f2.8, like Tailgunner's got for sale. I'm so glad to have this narrowed down... sheesh. This seems counter-intuitive, but I'm sick of looking at DSLRs. I'd much rather be hunting for restoration projects.

Well if it puts a smile on Darth Vader's face you can't really go wrong now can you.. lol

I'm looking to use this mainly for product photography, and have one main question. Both of these cameras are available with 18-1x5 lenses with f3.5-5.6 max apertures as a kit. Are these lenses worth it? Or would I be throwing money away on one of those? At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Canon, but need to play with the two side by side to make a decision on brand. Thanks!
The discount on the kit lens included with the camera are considerable. Given that your target is non-moving, and in controlled light conditions (product photography): I cannot imagine what you'd get from a better lens.

That said, and not knowing what product: You'd likely be looking at something like a prime macro lens if not the kit lens? At least on the canon side: there are some *very* good prime macros <$400 used.

So let's examine what goes wrong with "lesser lenses".
To slow an F-stop? Not a problem (you control the lighting and can shoot from a tripod (presumably))
Barrel distortion / pincushion? Usually only a problem at certain zooms... pick a different one. Often correctable in post.
vignetting? Usually only a problem at the fastest F-stops.
Slow focus? Again: controlled light, tripod, stationary object. Non-issue.

So really: the biggest argument *I* see against a kit lens for product photography is if you need macro capability.

Camera body difference?
Megapixels? Don't matter. (are you doing pictures that will be zoomed to poster size?)
Anti-aliasing filter? See above.
Focus speed, whether it has phase sensors in the main sensor, etc? Doesn't matter. Stationary target.
Performance at high ISO? Irrelevant (again: controlled lighting, stationary target)
Dual card slots? Can't imagine you filling one... esp if you are using the wireless to transfer.

What will matter?
Dynamic range? That might be important (Nikon wins there)
Controls (like the ability to sit with your iPad and preview / change focus / change settings while not behind the camera)? You might care about that (Canon wins there)
Rotatable screen? You might care about that if you aren't using the iPad above. You might not. (Canon wins if you do).

So in your shoes: I'd pick which ergonomic set I care about. If I didn't care about the whole Canon control system: I'd take the Nikon for its improved range.
Or: I'd find the lens I want and buy the body that goes with it.

Well, in terms of autofocus, we have to consider what I'm coming from. I have an Olympus E-450. That thing won't focus. Period. It takes me a LONG time to get a shot (not get one right, just get one). Manual focus isn't an option really, as the viewfinder is horrible for it. After I get the shot into Lightroom, it's never very sharp no matter what I do for settings, and it's NOISY even at ISO 100. This was shot at ISO 400, f8. This lens is at its best at f8, but that's only up close. Anything further than a foot away goes soft.

P1242935 by longm1985, on Flickr

And yes, I'll be polishing that scratch out of that table eventually. :lol:

I've decided on a Nikon D7100 since it's one of the best APS-C cameras on the market and isn't geared toward video. I'll be trying to get my hands on the 17-55 f2.8 or Tamron equivalent, and the 85mm ultra-sharp thing (unsure of max aperture). It seems like the glass I want is available for either system. The weather sealing stuff and magnesium frame appeal to me if I drag it with on vacation or go shooting in adverse weather where I don't want to risk some of my other cameras. Though, in all honesty, I may keep the Olympus for macro/places where I'm likely to destroy a DSLR/giving my kid someday. We'll see. I have a feeling that while I don't want to drag it around, I'll probably end up doing that and shooting more with a better DSLR.

My Canon SX200IS has been an excellent companion on travel capturing all kinds of scenes with ease.
However it's almost 5 years old. Should I upgrade to another camera and if yes what are the best options?

ALRIGHT! I've done it! The tax return came back. I checked on the Nikon D7100 package, and Nikon changed it from the 18-105 to the horrific 18-140 and upped the price $100. Well, at my local shop, they had a used Canon 7D, so I snagged that and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for about $150 less than the Nikon kit. Woot! Sure, older sensor, but it's still a massive improvement over what I had and I hope going to be ultra-reliable over the next few years. I'll be testing out that lens tonight, and I'm super excited to see what happens. :D

Hey minicoop1985, I've recently done a review of the Nikon D7100 camera. It may be useful for you to read it. I have to admit I am a Nikon fan as I have two myself, but at the end of the day it's what sounds / feels best for you.
I hope you enjoy it anyway...good shooting in the future!

Most reactions

Back