Deciding on Tamron zoom lens...

slven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had a goal this year to upgrade my camera. I currently have a nikon d80 with a tamron 18-270 lens as my "main" lens.

Anyway - I am looking to probably get the nikon 7200 (I know the 7500 is out but I don't see much on it that convinces me i need that unless someone can convince me otherwise).

My question is what lens:

1. spend nothing and keep my tamron 18-270 (though I am itching for a new lens just because )

2. upgrade to tamron 16-300 (my original thinking a year ago)

3. spend bit more $ and upgrade to new tamron 18-400

Note: I'm quite amateur photographer and just take pictures purely for fun and myself/family - mainly take pics of sightseeing, my kids, family vacations, etc. 90% of my pics are just saved and shared amongst my family and printed in occasional "scrapbook"/album. Occasionally, I print pictures, usually 4x6 and on rare occasion - 5x7 or 8x10. (I have taken some photo classes and workshops and have hoped to improve my skills, but need to find more time! )

I do love having slr and and "all in one" lens that does it all - because being mom with two little kids - carrying more stuff and dealing with changing lenses isn't practical for me right now, and a lens that does it all just fits more into my lifestyle at this point.

Given this, any advice on what lens you would go with is much appreciated. Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: the 18-270 lens I currently have is the OLDER model of the two lenses (model b0003) that was first introduced in 2008

Last edited:
If want an actual upgrade in image quality you will choose something with a less extreme zoom range.

D7200 is a great camera. I would like an 18-270 or 16-300 or 18-400, but only as a handy do it all lens when I wanted to travel light.

Why not try get a deal on a d7200 kit with 18-140 Nikon, sell your 18-270, add something like a tamron 70-300 vc USD and a nice prime lens. It should fall within a similar budget, see what better lenses can do on the camera

Better still, upgrade lenses before the camera

I don't see much of an upgrade with the 16-300 (except for speed). the 18-400 with at least give you more focal range.

D7200 is a great camera. I would like an 18-270 or 16-300 or 18-400, but only as a handy do it all lens when I wanted to travel light.

Why not try get a deal on a d7200 kit with 18-140 Nikon, sell your 18-270, add something like a tamron 70-300 vc USD and a nice prime lens. It should fall within a similar budget, see what better lenses can do on the camera

Better still, upgrade lenses before the camera

THanks. That is an option, and I am debating quality over convenience - but as a mom with two young kids (and still needing to lug around diaper bag and their stuff, etc right now) I just don't see myself carrying more than 1 lens right now and having hands free to change lenses as needed when on vacation/traveling, day trip, out hiking, etc (plus the toddler that is walking is quick! no time to stop and change a lens to catch picture of her ;) ) . I think maybe in a couple more years perhaps and I have time to get back into the "Art" of photography.

I thought the 18-400 is getting quite good reviews so why I was considering it and thought it was a good compromise of quality and convenience (yes, I realize I am compromising but convenience is more important to me than missing a picture entirely. the "all in one" zoom lens is fitting well into my lifestyle right now while getting me pics I want - but willing to upgrade if its worth it )

Thanks for confirmation the 7200 is a good camera. I'm excited to treat myself to it :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back