decision based on a single lens ... is it right?

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello all,
i am having a tough time deciding which camera and lens combo to buy. my options are based on everyday needs and also sometimes small paid weddings and ceremony. my cash is limited therefore i have broken down my needs to the following options.

1) i could buy a nikon D700 + 24-85 VR lens along with a cheap Fujifilm X-A1 for normal everyday use.

2) buy the Fujifilm X-T1 with 18-55mm kit lens and 35mm f1.4.

just browsing yesterday, a canon 40mm Stm lens caught my eye.... and it opened me up for another option.

3) Canon 6D + 24-105mm and 40mm stm lens.

basically traveling around with a big body and big lens is just overkill for me for normal everyday use. my shooting style mostly includes family pics... i am a shooter which wouldnt tell my wife to stand alone and i would take a pic of her with some creamy bokah... rather i would stand with my wife and tell someone else to take a pic at F7-F8.. So that we both are nice and sharp... with this 40mm lensm i could make the whole 6d setup small enough to travel everyday.. and also when i need it for weddings, my zoom lens could come in handy..

is it a good idea to base my whole decision just on the 40mm lens? i know other brands do 35mm but are just to expensvie..

I use 6D+40mm
I think it's a great tiny piece of equipment

The Canon 24-105 versus the Fuji 18-55: That one is a no contest. The only thing the Canon lens can do better than the Fuji lens is weigh twice as much. The Fuji 35mm f/1.4 is one of the best lenses of that class available on any camera.

I'd say your only contest here is between the D700 and the XT-1. So it would come down to do you want to carry a bigger heavier camera and then rely on another camera as well or just one smaller camera for everything.

Big differences between the Nikon and Fuji:

1. OVF versus EVF
2. Full frame versus APS-C
3. Sensor CFA

Item #1 is big. OVF is most photographer's preference. OVF forces a bigger, bulkier, more mechanically complicated camera with an increased sensor to lens flange distance. That means bigger lenses and wide angle lenses that don't typically perform as well (14mm Fuji X lens is best in class). It also effects the type of auto focus system used in the camera. The AF system in OVF cameras is superior (faster). The shorter sensor to lens flange distance in EVF systems typically means you can mount just about any lens on the camera with a suitable adapter. Removal of the reflex mirror means the camera's movable mechanical parts can be reduced dramatically. Removal of the reflex mirror means the camera's overall size and bulk can be reduced dramatically. I use an EVF camera now. The thing I miss the most? The OVF. So no easy answer.

Item #2 can matter for some photographers but be pretty meaningless for others. There's a difference in DOF such that the larger format can achieve slightly better shallow DOF. The larger sensor cameras are also going to have better low-light performance but we're talking about extremes where you'd find it necessary to use ISO values approaching 5 digits.

Item #3 is Fuji unique. The XT-1 uses Fuji's X-Trans sensor technology. The sensor is Sony made but Fuji's CFA is not a standard Bayer array. If you intend to save and process the camera raw files then this difference will be a factor. Positives and negatives again: The X-Trans CFA goes a long way to equalizing the low light performance difference between FF and APS. In APS class cameras the Fuji's excel at low light performance. The X-Trans CFA is more complicated to demosaic and so there are fewer choices available in raw converters and a wider performance variation in raw converters. Because of the X-Trans CFA the Fuji cameras do not have a low pass filter.

Joe

Consider a used Nikon D610 with a fast used lens, it should be better then all other options and probably will be close financially.

I agree with Joe that the clearest choice out of these is the D700 system v. a Fuji XT-1 system. Basically see if you can shoot with an EVF only system and then an OVF system. If you don't mind the EVF only, I say absolutely save the bulk and go with the Fuji system. Simplifying your rig is always a great thing. If I didnt sometimes shoot sports and need a great 80-200 f/2.8, I'd have probably already switched over to a mirrorless system by now.

I looked at the list and could not even begin to choose between those three options.

thanks all for the reply,
i have used the xt1 over the weekend. one major problem which i have is that it just goes to Auto iso 6400. i normally use alot of auto iso while managing shutter and aperture. the other problem i faced was that when i want to use the flash, i pull the iso to 1600 which makes the EVF totally black..... and then when i click and the flash blinks, the pic is clean and well exposed... i dunno what i am doing wrong here ....
the d700 and fuji together do look like a nice option tho....

Don't forget, with the d700 (or any other Nikon FF) you can get the small AF-D lenses such as 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4 or 1.8 and have a nice "compact" camera too without a big lens sticking out.

The canon 24-105 is a great "L" series lens. It covers all the most popular focal lengths. It's well built and would be a perfect all around lens. It is heavy but not uncomfortably so.

I would however skip the 40mm. I have one and only use it when I want to do some quasi-macro shots. I would instead look at the 50mm 1.4 or the 35mm 2.0.

The nikon is also a good choice but I am not familiar with that lens.

The Fuji is super nice but I have found that mirror less cameras aren't "quite" there yet. If anything I'd go for the Sony A7 series.

What is your exact Budget?

The canon 24-105 is a great "L" series lens. It covers all the most popular focal lengths. It's well built and would be a perfect all around lens. It is heavy but not uncomfortably so.

I would however skip the 40mm. I have one and only use it when I want to do some quasi-macro shots. I would instead look at the 50mm 1.4 or the 35mm 2.0.

The Fuji is super nice but I have found that mirror less cameras aren't "quite" there yet. If anything I'd go for the Sony A7 series.

Have you shot with an XT1? Zack Arias did advertisements for Range Rover with it, amongst some other pretty huge clients. Like what do you mean by "not quite there yet?" Just wondering what this is based on?

Have you shot with an XT1? Zack Arias did advertisements for Range Rover with it, amongst some other pretty huge clients. Like what do you mean by "not quite there yet?" Just wondering what this is based on?

To me the EVF is the biggest thing that needs to be fixed. Rapid movements and qucik action are still a bit tricky.

I think we are maybe 1-2 generations away from perfection.

To me the EVF is the biggest thing that needs to be fixed. Rapid movements and qucik action are still a bit tricky.

I think we are maybe 1-2 generations away from perfection.
But what are you basing this on, which models have you used? That's all I'm asking.

Most reactions

Back