Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Xmetal, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ladies, Gentlemen and Illegal immigrants!

I've come to a cross roads in my quest for a DSLR camera!

On one side of the fence i'm chasing a Canon EOS 350D (Drebel XT) and on the other side i'm chasing a Pentax *istDS i'm under the impression that they are both fine pieces of equipment but there's a catch with the Pentax...

If I buy the Pentax I will automatically inherit all of my dad's 'paparazzi' gear. (lenses, filters, Mega-flash, etc...) BUT I want to know first if the lenses I already have will fit the DSLR.

Telephoto Lens - 80-200mm @ F4.5
    [​IMG]

Wide-Angle Lens - 35-70mm @ F2.8
    [​IMG]

If anyone can I.D. these lenses and tell if they're compatible with the *istDS please let me know!

More pics available on demand. :)

A comparison between the 2 cameras would be nice too! (user experiences, etc...)

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    While I won't be much help on the lens front I can say that if the 350D is anything like the 20D it's a great bit of kit... I love my 20D and rarely use anything else these days.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a Pentax man, and I actually probably have a small bias against Canon (it's just a personal thing ;) ), but when it comes to DSLRs right now, go Canon.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the mounts for Pentax have not changed in many years. I recently bought the *IST 35mm SLR which I really like, and I am able to use the lenses that I had with the ME Super. So, check with someone more knowledgeable but I am reasonably sure the lenses would work. I think Pentax users are probably a minority and you will likely get many people to suggest the canon, I think it's personal preference. Check both out. Hold them, feel them, see how they fit the hand. The 35mm version is kind of small (but feels much better with the battery grip) and if the same is true with the digital version, that may sway you one way or the other.