Decisions Decisions

ashgoff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some help from people who know more about this than I do. I just graduated high school and I'm getting a camera for my graduation present. I've played around with a few Nikons and Canons but don't have enough experience to have a well developed bias. I love photography and I'm really not that bad at it so I'd like to step it up to the next level. My main uses for the camera will be low light/night time photography, action photography, landscapes, micro (like close ups of bugs and stuff), time lapses, and some video. I don't want to go drop the downpayment I put on my car on a camera so be reasonable for an above beginner but below professional please.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Nikon side of things, so I won't say much there.

As far as Canon... You might consider getting yourself something along the T3i - T6i.

I don't know anything about budget... But these are fantastic little starter cameras for not a lot of money.

It's aspc so you can make full frame lenses a little longer mm wise. That can work favorably for astrophotography, sports/action, wildlife, and macro (micro). Canon aspc has a crop factor of 1.6... So if you mount a full frame lens to the camera you'll have the effective field of view of a cropped in section of the image coming through the lens. I'm trying to keep this simple. To figure out the effective length of your lens you simply multiply the length of the lens mounted by the 1.6. So a 50 mm 1.8 (the venerable plastic fantastic... A staple lens in every new Canon shooters bag because it is ridiculously cheap and produces provides amazingly good quality images as well) would be 50x1.6= 80 mm very close to one of the most popular portrait lengths. Although it wouldn't have as much of the compression in the depth of the photo as an actual 80mm telephoto would.

The flip out screen is super handy if you want to have yourself in the frame but still want to see live view so you can frame yourself properly. It's also really handy if you are shooting at an odd angle and you can't get your eye to the viewfinder.

The Txi line has the option to shoot in raw... In case you have interest in editing your photos and want more control/options.

They have a pop up flash... Not the best kind of flash to have but it's a start. And as you grow into using off camera flash you can use the pop up flash to trigger the off camera flash optically.

Aspc lenses are available too... And pretty darn cheap... No need to worry about the crop factor if you are using aspc lenses.

The auto focus system isn't half bad... You have a good number of focus points to choose from when you start concerning yourself with composition.

You can still deck the thing out though... It has a hot shoe which provides tons of options for lights and radio triggers or microphones. And there's other accessories for them to like battery grips that give you a vertical control grip for portrait oriented shooting and double the battery capacity.

Low light performance will be the only draw back for you. Full frame sensors have better dynamic range than aspc because the sensor is physically larger and samples more light... which means they record more data at the edges of the exposure in the highlights and the shadows. To put it simply. The rebels aren't terrible in low light, they just aren't great, mediocre... These are old small cheap sensors. But they are perfectly capable of capturing award winning professional grade images if you take the time to learn and outfit yourself.

You can honestly do a lot of growing with a rebel before you ever need to worry about upgrading to something with greater capabilities. And there's diminishing returns with camera bodies too. After a point that newer/better body with take you a whole lot less further than a better lens or another light, kit wise.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You should think of a budget for all the the needed items (camera, lenses, SD cards and bag). The bottom end of Nikon blows Cannon's away. Cannon is just using outdated sensors on the bottom tier of cameras. Hard to really suggest without an idea of a budget.
You seem to have a lot of different types of photography you are interested in (great!).I don't really know your knowledge level on The aspects of photography (shutter speed,ISO, aperture,crop factor..ECT)
I believe you should look at the type of lenses you would like to use first. Good glass is far more important than the camera body.
I would suggest a lower aspc Nikon model (d3400-d5600). Then also a 35mm 1.8f, this will allow more light in compared to the usual kit lens. A micro lens will allow for close ups but are very specialized lenses. You could also use extension tubes which will allow you to use normal lenses at a closer focus.
I've also heard great things about Sony's line of mirror less camera. Although the lens selection is kinda slim with little to no used lenses around.
Btw the crop factor is still very much in play with or without being a full frame lens. So that 35mm is actually closer to a 55mm equivalent on a full frame camera.
If all this went over you head there are some great threads (this question is asked daily) on purchasing your first camera, also endless amounts of info online(no sh#t, right?)

Budget is needed $$$$ as everyone's "reasonable" varies greatly.
But I'll assume very little. Go out and see if the menu system is confusing among cameras to you. See if the fit in your hands is good and controls are easy accessible in your hands.

Also don't overlook some of the mirrorless cameras as those are getting very good from Fuji, Sony and canon.

Budget is needed $$$$ as everyone's "reasonable" varies greatly.
But I'll assume very little. Go out and see if the menu system is confusing among cameras to you. See if the fit in your hands is good and controls are easy accessible in your hands.

Also don't overlook some of the mirrorless cameras as those are getting very good from Fuji, Sony and canon.

I agree, Canon may "blow away" the Nikon models for image quality IQ and other features but go to a store and see for yourself
I also agree - don't over look the mirrorless models - they are smaller and lighter but can still use the big DSLR lens, a tremendous plus
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

It also depends if you plan to study photography at some point in the near future. In the Nikon line the D7500 is what you might consider "...above beginner and below professional". You can often find it in a kit with the 18-140mm lens. Add in a 35mm f/1.8 DX lens for something better in low-light at a low price. Some good memory cards and an extra battery or two and a bag you like.

If you still only half-way through your budget by then you could still add a macro or action lens. Otherwise I would add those lenses later so you have time to make the most of the first couple lenses. A flash unit or two and a tripod are what I would add after the basic kit above.

..I'd like to step it up to the next level.
What level are you at now? What is the proposed budget?

..above beginner but below professional please.

Uhh...Does that mean something like "enthusiast" maybe? If you visit the Nikon website, they have grouped their lineup. See below.

DSLR Cameras Overview | Entry-Level, Enthusiast & Professional | Nikon

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 6.21.38 PM.png

We need specific direction here.

Buy a lower-end Nikon in the D3300 or D5300 slot: low-cost, good imager in the camera, can use OLD, and LOW-cost manual focus F-mount lenses, as well as modern AF-S type autofocusing lenses, and can also use the older AF and AF-D lenses (albeit without automatic focusing).

Agreed: do not spend too much dinero on your first camera!

From what I have heard, on the entry-level DSLR's, Nikon offers a much better value by far.

Budget: Nikon d3000 Series
Entry-level plus: D5500 is a great camera. I would start with that if you have the extra couple hundred to spend vs. the D3000 series.

Great lens and exceptional value = 35mm f/1.8g prime, great low light, sharp photos, fantastic price.
There's also the 50mm prime, depends who you ask.

That's where I would start.

I agree, from what I've heard (and seen) Canon offers a better value by far but go to a store and see for yourself
- e.g. Canon 800D, 750D, etc and with the 18-55 STM 55-250 STM and 50mm STM is fantastic

But don't forget to look at the mirrorless options - smaller, lighter .... great for travel and can also use all the DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:
Guys, thanks for all of the advice filled responses. With some of y'alls suggestions, I narrowed it down to a Nikon d5500. I visited a camera store and did some comparisons and got some hands on use and professional knowledge but it really helped to have some of my own knowledge to contribute to the conversation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back