Decisions Desicions....Sony Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Photo Phil, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Photo Phil

Photo Phil TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well I have been doing some research on the Sony 50mm f1.4 and research on the Sony 11-18 mm f4.5-5.6. The thing is that I'm torn between the two. I understand that they are completely two different lenses. The 50mm is about $350.00 and the wide angle is $650.00. I like to take landscape photos and the wide would work well but i also like indoor shots and portraits. Price is not and issue as I'm about 3/4 of the way to the 650.00 mark. Is there a common point/factor. Can i use both lenses for taking the same pictures as to were i don't have to switch all the time. Can I still use the wide angle for portraits and others photos. I know its not as fast as the 50mm but, im trying to find a common point for the two and go with one for the time being. Any help would be great!

I would definately like to have both lenses eventually.

Hope I explained my self well enough. Thanks again.

2. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I read your ideas and think i know what you mean by "a common point/factor" but there really isn't one, no.

No, not really. The things that the ultra-wide is good for is different than what the 50 is good for.

Case in point - You can take portraits with a wide but it's difficult (very difficult) to get a beauty or fashion look to them. 50mm is hard enough. Most portraiture is around 80mm somewhere. But I guess a 50 on the sony is pretty close to 80 anyway right? So maybe it's fine.

From what you say you like to photograph I would get the 50mm 1st and then the ultra-wide later.

BTW, you know of course that Minolta lenses will work on your Sony right? At least the Sony cameras i looked at could use Minolta lenses... :D

3. Photo Phil

Photo Phil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well i guess i am going to have to weigh my options on what i like to photograph more. Thanks for your opinion. Ill take the comments into consideration and hopefully come up with something.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In the nature of FYI, the Minolta 50mm 1.7 is considered a much better lens than the Sony 50mm 1.4 at a lower price of under $100, if you are planning to put it on a Sony Alpha.

skieur