Decisons Decisons

Eric.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
So I was out taking photos this weekend in the middle of nowhere. Adandoned buidlings, barns and what not excite me. They are so interesting. ANyway. I got 2 photos I can't decided which one I like better. The First one I think The really small depth of feild really works, yet I like the more visable backgound in the second one. The depth of feild that is there is good but perhaps a bit distracting. What are your thoughts. Can you help me determine which one to go with?

Barnside3.jpg

barside4.jpg

how about a 3rd that has a DOF some where inbetween the two? maybe to edge of the building perhaps?

Unfortunatley, I'll probably never make it back to this place. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and about 5 hours from here. ALthough I do like your idea. Thanks!

I think the second is best as well, the the background really helps to add more interest in it. In the first the blurred board in the front detracts from the shot some. There isn't as much interest in it either.

i agree...the second shot is far more pleasing to the eye. do you by any chance have a shot of the rolling hills with that awesome looking sky? i really like the colors here.

JonMikal said:
i agree...the second shot is far more pleasing to the eye. do you by any chance have a shot of the rolling hills with that awesome looking sky? i really like the colors here.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I agree about the 4x4 though. If I ever get a chance to reshoot on such a perfect day I know what I'll do!

John, I'm sorry to let you down. I don't have a picture of the field and sky, I didn't think of it. I just really enjoyed the colors.... :er:

im actually going to go against what everyone else has said and say i like the first one better as i shall now explain.

both amazing photos by the way, the color and contrast is great.

The second one is nice with the backround all in focus and a large DOP, but i think it is too typical, my eye is not drawn to really anything in the photo at all, maybe if i look long enough though my eye is kind of drawn to the road in the back round. If i was looking through a pile of great photos, i think i would pass the second one up as just "another great photo" but nothing really that catches my eye.

The first photo however, is not something that i have seen much of (granted im new to photography...) My eye is directly drawn to the wood grain, i really cant look anywhere else in the picture, and the detail and lighting and color of those precious inches of wood that you captured in focus just draw me in. Its a splash of detail inside a myriad of color and i specifically like it because it seems a-typical almost against the rules of a nice pleasent photo to look at, but then again ive never been one for "classic photos"
thats my take on it. If i were going to buy a copy i would choose the first one, and i mean it is possible to crop the board to the left hand side of the photo out.

one last thing i just noticed, you seem to have black outlines on the corners of your pictures, im guessing that might be from the polarizer (from the blue of the sky i assume you used one)
but deffinatly awsome pictures

Wow thanks for that awesome review. That reason is partly why I can't decide between the two. The black in the corners is the part wide angle this is shot at. My lens is 17-85mm and when shot at 17 it has those. Thanks again!

fightheheathens said:
im actually going to go against what everyone else has said and say i like the first one better as i shall now explain.

both amazing photos by the way, the color and contrast is great.

The second one is nice with the backround all in focus and a large DOP, but i think it is too typical, my eye is not drawn to really anything in the photo at all, maybe if i look long enough though my eye is kind of drawn to the road in the back round. If i was looking through a pile of great photos, i think i would pass the second one up as just "another great photo" but nothing really that catches my eye.

The first photo however, is not something that i have seen much of (granted im new to photography...) My eye is directly drawn to the wood grain, i really cant look anywhere else in the picture, and the detail and lighting and color of those precious inches of wood that you captured in focus just draw me in. Its a splash of detail inside a myriad of color and i specifically like it because it seems a-typical almost against the rules of a nice pleasent photo to look at, but then again ive never been one for "classic photos"
thats my take on it. If i were going to buy a copy i would choose the first one, and i mean it is possible to crop the board to the left hand side of the photo out.

one last thing i just noticed, you seem to have black outlines on the corners of your pictures, im guessing that might be from the polarizer (from the blue of the sky i assume you used one)
but deffinatly awsome pictures

agree,

I also would like the fall off in the DOF to not be so abrubt but what can you do... I also agree about the 4x4 being a little distracting but a little bit of a crop could fix that. Great colors and the sharpness and texture of the grain is superior.

Most reactions

Back