Deck the Halls

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few shots from this weekend. Comment if you wish.

4164434253_3a681e2cce.jpg

4164427951_c5dfd99e5b.jpg

4164421675_d1e31d6eca.jpg

4164425121_1d0a7bdc4f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Ronnie

I love the 1st one! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the lights to look like that?

I am pretty sure you need to use a wide open aperture to get the lights to look like that. I was just reading about it in understanding exposure last night. I tried to do it last night but I could not figure out how to get the lighting correct.

Thanks!

For the snowman I used my 28-135, had it about as close as I could get it to the ornament while still in focus. The snowman was actually on a mini christmas tree on a coffee table about 5 feet away from the real christmas tree (and lights). I had to do it that way because I don't have a lens with a really wide aperture.

I played around with the camera -->snowman--> lights distances until I got the look I liked. There are some more shots from different distances on my flickr.

Edit: BTW I used the widest aperture (lowest f/#) the lens would allow.

nice bokeh on 1.

Could you possibly post the exif data from number 1?
Sure, I'll post it when I get home tonight. I have really been meaning to make a template for lightroom so the important stuff gets embedded... right now I have it set to minimal exif because it was like 50 lines of exif data without that checkbox.

OK. Couldn't find a way to copy and paste it, but here's what I think you are asking for, if you wanted something else from the exif just let me know.

Shutter Speed: 1.3 Sec
ISO: 200
Aperture: F/5.6
Focal Length: 95mm
Aperture Priority Mode
Evaluative Metering

Did not use flash - the snowman is lit by my dining room chandelier camera right
(in case you didn't see it before I used the canon 28-135 lens)

Last edited:
yes a tripod was used... It was dark and at iso 1600 I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed to hand hold. and thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back