Decomposition #1: Self-Portrait

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some people call their shots compositions, but with as many mistakes I make, I felt calling it a "decomposition" was more deserving :)

2493629119_87585e8f40_o.jpg

The graininess is intentional. I shot this as in-camera black and white, and converted it to sepia in Photoshop (I have learned since then to shoot in color and desaturate later). I also took this before I knew the whole "keep body parts in frame," tip, so I cut off my elbows. Is this a big deal, or does it work in this photo?

So, whaddya think? BTW I'm 24, just so there's no confusion as to whether or not I'm old enough to be posting self-portraits. I may look 16, but I promise I'm not.

The graininess is intentional. I shot this as in-camera black and white, and converted it to sepia in Photoshop (I have learned since then to shoot in color and desaturate later).

Actually to desaturate a color photo is not always the best technique. you can achieve a better b&w conversion using the channel mixer (google for tutorial)and don't forget to add some contrast :)

no it is not a big deal that you cut off your elbows unless you are adding this to your portfolio.

another technique for b&w is toning (google toning or split toning for a tutorial). toning can add a different feel and look to b&w, but it doesn't work with every subject.

not to hijack your thread, but here is an example of split toning using some magenta and yellow on the shadows and highlights:
2452397275_2f27e806f5.jpg

good luck and don't be so hard on yourself :thumbup:

Your picture is a little too dark. Other than that I think it is fine.

And before you post another self portrait i will ask to see ID. If you ever bummed me for a cigarette i would probably slap you and tell it to your mom!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back