dedicated speedlights for nikon

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by panocho, Feb 7, 2005.

1. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got a question about speedlights. First I must say that I tend to use them very little; second, that now I cannot afford a good one, like Nikons. But, still, I've been thinking in getting a cheap one, just to do the basic job when I need it -and, in the future, I would go for a good one. So I think on those "other" brands, such as Vivitar, Albinar, Cobra... you can get one of those for no money, but... are they worth it? what models would be recommended?
    I've got a Nikon N8008s (yeap, I'm the same guy of the rechargable batteries!). What of the cheapy flashes could do a respectable job on it?
    Thanks again!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dedicated Nikon flash units will use TTL metering while most third party flash units will have their own built-in auto thyristor...so they are basically automatic.

You can get very good results and save a lot of money with an auto third party flash unit. Vivitar makes some of the best units, that's what I would recommend.

3. Rogue Monk

Rogue Monk TPF Noob!

Mike is right. I've heard a lot of pros swear by the Vivitar 283.

Seeing as you're using an older model camera, I wouldn't delve into the newer flashes too much. You'll be paying for a bunch of features that you can't use (unless you buy a new camera).

4. FlashSpeedo

FlashSpeedo TPF Noob!

I did a bit of research a year or so ago to decide if it was worth the $$$ to buy a high end Nikon unit. But it looked like the Vivitar 283 was the old workhorse flash that many oldtime pros still swear by. so i bought 2 of them on ebay for under $50 each. They're great units. it's a bit trickier to get a correct exposure than with the fully auto TTL Nikon flashes, but as i'm shooting a DSLR I can check the exposure right after the shot and adjust if needed.

Now i'm looking for a good diffuser for a 283. i've seen a few cheap add-ons like the omni-bounce. Any advice for a good portable add-on diffuser?