Deep, Dark shadows

psreilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm having a hard time removing this one shadow. I've used almost every tool I can possibly think of in Photoshop, Capture One 8, you name it.. I know there's gotta be a way. The shadow really dark and what the photo is of isn't bad, but the shadow ruins it. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with a light shadow. Maybe just some spot removal or a patch tool would do the trick just fine.. Now however if I try using those tools the shadow blots

Any ideas on a combination of tools that could get rid of it?

One idea comes to mind: Post the image so we can see it.

One idea comes to mind: Post the image so we can see it.

Nevermind, I had in on my tumblr afterall.. as you can see though the shadow is really dark. Obviously my preparation could have been better I know

Attachments

• tumblr_ni0sw6jH5Q1rwbdhqo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ni0sw6jH5Q1rwbdhqo1_1280.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 180
If you're referring to the shadow on the background, I'd reshoot it if at all possible. She's WAY too close to the background.

If you're referring to the shadow on the background, I'd reshoot it if at all possible. She's WAY too close to the background.

Yeah can't re-shoot it now, but that certainly was a mistake

That being the case, I'd start cloning and healing.

There is a point where you simply delete the file. When you have so many errors that it would take a massive amount of post it is almost a lead pipe certainty that the end result will be worse than when you started. So you can't re-take the exact shoot? Well, move on and use this experience to guide in not making the same errors again. In my mind this is one of thse moments/shots that I would jsut chalk up to a learning experience.

You could probably just add another layer underneath,
and delete the shadow from the top layer, so that the background from the bottom layer would show.

Perhaps cut the model out of this photo and paste her in front of a different background and blend?

If you use the Clone Stamp to clear the dark shadow and then put the texture back with the Patch Tool you should be able to make it look fine. Or make another layer, copy a section of the background and put it over the shadow area - then use a mask to let the good stuff show through.
There are more ways - those are just a couple..

Perhaps cut the model out of this photo and paste her in front of a different background and blend?

I actually like the sound of that I'm going to give that a try. The rest of the shoot came out fine, cause I was shooting tethered and realized the shadow. This method could work

If you use the Clone Stamp to clear the dark shadow and then put the texture back with the Patch Tool you should be able to make it look fine. Or make another layer, copy a section of the background and put it over the shadow area - then use a mask to let the good stuff show through.
There are more ways - those are just a couple..

I actually used the clone stamp tool, but every time I did there would be this small residue left over. Now that normally wouldn't be a problem then I could just use the patch tool and drag it to a clean area, but I noticed the file started to lose its sharpness in that area as a result. Gonna try cutting the girl and pasting

Yeah, this is really a simple fix. Just create a layer mask for her and drop in a different background. The different background could even be the same one, but lightened, or just the shadow lightened so it's not as dark.

Just an update on this situation if anybody was curious. I did end up just cutting the model out as Sabe and Buckster suggested. Did everything I could to use to the clone stamp tool and the patch removal tool, but it wasn't worth the time or effort when I could just cut and paste.. Thx for the answers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back