Definately not Polished

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love reading the Photographic Discussion forum we have here at TPF, although I don't think I've ever posted a reply there. But this one thread in particular on the 'polished-ness' of photos made me realise that I love the "lo-fi" aspects of photography. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30911

Anyway, I'll stop my rambling. :blushing: And post the damn picture for you to look at:

IMG_3817-carparksmaller.jpg

It's a photo I took in Brisbane last week, in a carpark. It was so surreal to see the guy walking along towards the really bright light at the end, but to still be surrounded by such mundane things. So I thought it definately needs that darker edge to it, so I'd make it blurry. Took a quick couple of goes to get it just right.

Cropped (coz I only had the 50mm on me) and obviously changed into a sepia-ish pic in PS.

Comments and critique are welcome as always especially on if you think the blur works, if it's enough?

Sorry for rambling! :blushing: :hug::

I totally agree with you Meysha.
It really adds to the photo if it's not "perfect" when you are shooting street photography. :thumbup:
I think it's because we all know it's not a perfect world, and using that in the photograph really brings it forward along with your feelings about it. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! So it's not just me who is a crazy lo-fi'er. hehe. :lol:

Oh, I can dig it. :thumbup: I'd like to see a tad more of the image in focus, maybe towards the top which is where it is sharpest, so you get that feeling of distance and isolation as you look deeper into the shot. But knowing you had to work off the cuff, I think you did get something very interesting. I like the tones and the composition. Nice work! :)

love the tones! and i like the soft blurry feel to it
i cant name it.. but it certainly carries with it a very 'rough' hmm or you would say gritty? feel to it
i like it .. thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Thanks terri, I really like your idea of having it sharper there at the top. Infact, in my original photo, before I cropped it, that row of lights on the roof was slightly more in focus as they came closer to the camera.

Mansi, i like the way you try and describe the mood... hehe I've only come up with 'scary'. hehehe.

Thanks everyone!

Fantastic shot, love the blur and how the lights lead you into the photograph. Great work :)

Gorgeous. The off-focus and silhouette really make this one special. If you don't mind me asking- how did you get that sepia tone so well? I've tried many times to do that, but it always turned out really poorly... Excellent!

It's actually a method that JonK told me about. It works a real treat!
Add a new layer - fill with whatever colour you want.... - make it slightly darker than what you think it should be, i find that works well!
Then change the blend mode to (argh I can't remember what) - something like colour burn, or soft light... I can't remember which one - but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Then adjust the opacity.

I used to use the Duotone function.
change picture to greyscale and then change to duotone... but it was too fiddly and it would never turn out like I wanted. And I'd loose all my layers. This way suits my photos a lot more. But whatever works best for you.

Most reactions

Back