Define PhotoJournalism?

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Seems to me that there should be a proper "read me before you post" text. As you know I am a little unclear on labels and definitions in photography. I vote that Cindy and Dan come up with three lines that makes things clear. Of course run it by the powers that be.

My photojournalism experience runs like this: I am photo editor on all special sections. We go through a story list and decide what needs to be shot or what can be a file photo. My definition falls in the line of illustrating a story in one shot. Capturing an event may take more than one photo. What is the line between editorial and photojournalistic work?

Maybe we can come up with something to give a guideline. For now, just use the description of the forum:

A place to tell us stories of events with pictures. This is your place to show us your photojournalistic style.

A place to tell us stories of events with pictures.
I like this description very much. It tells us what it means, and uses nice dumb words so blondes like me can understand. :greenpbl:

I'd love to see both editorial and PJ work here. Neither need to be a news event, but it should be able to convey a sense of story, or stir emotion. Mansi's work is an excellent example of a one photo story that stirs emotions.

I would say for this section:

"Show us your photojournalism and editorial style photos. The only edits the photographer can make to the photos are slight dodging/burning, sharpening and cropping, just as in what can be done for actual submission. It is also suggested that each photo have a short caption"

elsaspet said:

"Show us your photojournalism and editorial style photos. The only edits the photographer can make to the photos are slight dodging/burning, sharpening and cropping, just as in what can be done for actual submission. It is also suggested that each photo have a short caption"
Great idea... :thumbup:

elsaspet said:
"Show us your photojournalistic and editorial style photos. The only edits the photographer can make to the photos are slight dodging/burning, sharpening and cropping, just as in what can be done for actual submission. It is also suggested that each photo have a short caption"
I think it sounds good too.

elsaspet said:
I'd love to see both editorial and PJ work here. Neither need to be a news event, but it should be able to convey a sense of story, or stir emotion. Mansi's work is an excellent example of a one photo story that stirs emotions.

Excellent. Now we are bonified.

The galleries are for posting photos, so I moved this discussion to the Discussion Forum.

Most reactions

Back