Define "picture" and "photograph".

mikie2084

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to see others PERSONAL definitions of each word, no wrong or right answer just curious.

Mine is "picture" - a moment, time, occasion you want to capture to remember.

"Photograph" - A mood, time, idea, place, ect. I am trying to make the viewer understand and feel part of.

Picture is a visual representation of a person, object, or scene, as a painting, drawing, photograph, etc.

A photograph is a picture produced by photography.

you summed it up pretty much the same way I would.

When I take pictures they are normally something that when I take it I know it is not going to end up on my flickr page or anywhere else, it's mostly family or personal related things that others would not find interesting.

However when I take a photograph it's something carefully composed and I'll take multiple shots to get one that I find aesthetically pleasing.

I would like to see others PERSONAL definitions of each word, no wrong or right answer just curious.

Mine is "picture" - a moment, time, occasion you want to capture to remember.

"Photograph" - A mood, time, idea, place, ect. I am trying to make the viewer understand and feel part of.

I kinda use picture and photograph interchangeably, but I guess if I were to break it down, I have three levels of description.

What you call a picture, I would call a "snapshot"....to capture a memory without much thought of composition.

A "picture" would be something that catches your eye, not really planned, but you try to make the best of what situation you have to try and make it look good.....which still can turn out really nice, even into a "photograph"

A "photograph" would be carefully planned and set up.... purposely meant to eminate something to the viewer.

Wow tough question. For me a picture is a snapshot. Something for myself to enjoy or preserve a memory for myself.

A photograph is an image created using the photographic skills and tools to create an image for others to enjoy and react to.

Really great answers so far, I like to learn how we interpret things in different ways.

Assuming we're only talking about images made with a camera (a "picture" can be created without a camera, a "photograph" can not)...

To me the difference is intent. A "Photograph" is planned - it has intent behind it. A "Picture" is everything else.

I would say a picture is a snapshot. A visual recording of a person, place, or thing.

A photograph captures a moment in time. A piece of history (ugh--cliche) that actually tells you something about the subject matter. A photograph can be something that you snap in a quick instant, or be something that you arrange.

One of the best photographs I've ever seen was the fireman carrying the baby out of the wreckage of OKC bombing.

Picture would be the same as an image, a graphical representation of, well, anything.

A photograph is also a picture, or a graphical representation of, well, anything, but one which was recorded with a camera.

A photograph is a picture, but not all pictures are photographs.

Picture: "A visual representation produced on a surface" - Webster.

Means of making a picture: oils, watercolors, charcoal, painting, colored pencils, photography, etching, lithography, photogravure, crayons ....

To me, the difference lies in the amount of thought put into the effort.

"Hey, that's cool." *holds camera up and takes a shot* - Picture

"Hey, that's cool." *walks around, looking for a good angle, checking the lighting, thinking about composition, taking multiple shots to get that one just right one* - Photograph

To me, the difference lies in the amount of thought put into the effort.

"Hey, that's cool." *holds camera up and takes a shot* - Picture

"Hey, that's cool." *walks around, looking for a good angle, checking the lighting, thinking about composition, taking multiple shots to get that one just right one* - Photograph

What about hey, that's cool. *click* perfect shot.

Some people can do that you know. That's why they're rich and living off of photography.

Picture, simple snapshot, walk up and take it.

Photograph, selecting composition, taking your time to frame the shot, adjusting your camera to achieve desired effects...

Most reactions

Back