Define Success

My grandfather always told me to figgure out what I loved to do most, then go find a way to get paid to do it...

Success is whatever you make it, as long as your happy with what you do and you can pay the bills and feed the family. Do you want a job you hate to go to? If you can wake up 8:00 AM and have a job you enjoy to go to and hate to retire from, that is success.

very true - though I am a realist (sometimes) and wildlife photography seems just not to bring in the money from photo sales ;)

I should become more of a landscaper for that I think........

Hey guys, cleaning your sensor is actually REALLY EASY! I was scared to do it for a long time and finally bought the solution and the applicators, and it is so easy - I swear, you will wonder why you waited so long! ;)

My definition of success in this way is probably different than others.

For myself, it's the ability to not only sustain my family with monies acquired through taking pictures, but the ability to grow and secure my financial future.

While I am working fulltime in photography now, and making a living at it, I of course would still like to make more.

I also have other aspects of my photography life where I could "succeed".

1. I want to take a photoshoot of Scarlet Johansen, or another equally popular/beautiful actress. If I succeed in this ever, I will be happy.

2. I want to have a photograph of mine on the cover of a major magazine. Nothing short of being able to walk into Barnes and Nobles. If I succeed in this ever, I will be happy.

3. I want a photograph of mine to hang in a musuem, or alternatively, private gallery as a work of art. If I succeed in this ever, I will be happy.

Surely, all three of those things are quite difficult to accomplish, and I am probably nowhere near completing any of them, but they are goals that I have.

(Also, notice that I could pull off a triple whammy; take a picture of Scarlet, that is featured on the cover of a magazine, and then some rich dude buys a copy to put in his house!)

:)

Having my kids turn out to be good and decent human beings, staying happily married, sleeping in my bed and not starving.

Beyond that being happy with -and making my subjects happy with- the photos I take and finding pleasant surprises along the way.

What will it take you make you a successful photographer? What are your terms? Where will it end?

Must admit, I'm reading this a little different to most of the responses so far. I see that question as asking "what would I have to do, to become a successful photographer?". For me, I think that's relatively simple to respond to, if not necessarily easy to accomplish. It comes down to this, 'try much harder'...

Thanks to everyone for replying. Some really good responses here, some very disturbing ones too.

Abraxas: You seem to be getting very deep here lately. Are you on a self realization journey, or trying to get others to go there? Either way it provokes a thought proccess that might calm some people down on here. Appreciate the post.

Abraxas is very deep and he goes threw surges of posts like these every so often. Keeps on our toes and thinking about what it is we dedicate our lives to.

Thank you both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back