Definition of a point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dubie, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay, I did a search first before I decided to start a thread and can't find nothing.

What is the difference? Is a P&S a camera that does all auto focus? Or is it a combination?

The reason I ask is because I was in the "theme" section and there were pics from "point & shoots" and it got me wondering.

Is my Nikon N60 a P&S?

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    P&S - it is exactly what it says, "Push the button and we do the rest".

Of course, even dSLR's have their P&S modes, but the general trend of P&S are just that - simply meant to be a camera that one turns on and starts snapping pictures.

Tech though is continually blurring that line.

I don't know too many people that would consider a N60 a P&S. . .

3. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, thanks. I know that even on the auto setting I have moved the lens around to get what I want. If that's right, I don't know:wink: I know absolutely nothing, I mean natha! lol. But I'm learning. I guess you can say I have a vision, I'm just learning how to make it real.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well asside from the semi litteral definition above, here we describe P&S cameras as any cheap general purpose non-SLR camera. Most of them lack basic features and their owners often don't even know what aperture or shutter speed is as they usually aren't even displayed. Some more advanced cameras exist in the P&S category like the Canon Powershot series, but they still suffer the usual cheap P&S drawbacks like slow autofocus, no interchangeable lenses etc.

You Nikon N60 is a Film SLR, a far cry from the definition of P&S accepted here.

5. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you point n shoot... it's a point n shoot camera. Digital heads hate to think their $1000 cameras are point n shoots, but they are. Auto focus, auto exposure, auto overrides, auto bracketing auto advance. All you have to do is POINT N SHOOT. ummmm that's simple enough.

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Point-n-shoot" used to describe mostly fully automatic 35mm compact cameras without many additional features, or the ability for the user to adjust the settings. These days it tends to be used to describe any compact camera that the masses would be inclined to use on full auto, even though many digital compacts have various manual settings. Effectively it's describing a camera where all the user has to do is turn on the camera, compose the scene, and press the shutter button.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I think the terms DSLR(SLR) and Point'nShoot are thrown around a bit differently from their real meaning.

Most people think point and shoot... they think small pocketable camera without interchangable lenses focused on easy use and compact size.

Most people think DSLR or SLR... larger higher quality cameras rich with features and most importantly, interchangable lenses.