Degree or no Degree?

The best (highest revenue) freelance photographers in my city did not go to school for photography. Many of the salary photographers at some of the major image studios got a degree in business.

Try and get an assisting job. You can make decent money ($250-300/day) while you learn. My studio partner said he learned far more assisting than from photography school. You also will have a base of income to slowly make the transition to freelance photographer.

I studied business for 3 years and web/graphic design for 1. I found I needed non photographic knowledge more to be successful.

Lighten you load a bit but don't quit. If you want to do photography professionally then you really need to be majoring in business though- anybody can start a business, most can run a business but few can keep a business alive and knowing how is the key to success.

As far as the relationship goes, if the GF/BF is the best friend you can possibly imagine, doesn't drive you nuts, and want's the same things out of life you do in approximately the same order- hold on to 'em for dear life!

mike

You are correct in how most companies work. But that does not mean it is the right way.

I spent years consulting at Apple Computer in the late '80s through the mid '90s, and man, that company did things right.

What Apple did was pay the "bonehead" computer developers twice what their managers got paid. You see, Apple honored the skill it takes to code a world class system. Most companies are stupid here...they pay the manager more $$ then the techs that do the heavy lifting, because "anyone can code a program"....no respect for what it takes to do the actual work. Development is not a position one has to "pass through" to get to management "nirvana"...the opposite is true, but again, few companies understand this...as they have it backwards.

So lets not be so condecending about those that "just take pretty pictures"....in my own organization, the wedding photogs get paid the most and the managers the least, and that's how it should be.

Too often peoples skills turn to sheet when they spend too much time in management; their skills turn to fallow and therefore their marketability can greatly DECREASE.

In my life's experience, going into management has meant less marketability, more likely to be layed off, and the pay is often not as good.

As to the OP: I think you should stay in school, and get your degree, but not because it necessarily teaches you more then you could learn self-taught...do it because it can open doors, grease the wheels, etc.

I think you are talking apples and oranges here. I have managed photographers and television crews but I have done everything in both areas including editing and animation as well as being in front of a television camera as the floor talent.

In a company or organization media managers are paid not only for their photographic, television, or media talents but also for the ability to put it all together in both production and supervisory aspects in a manner that meets the needs of the company or organization. The difference is that the techs: photographic and television I have supervised, display skills that are limited to their particular area, which is understandable. As a manager, I get paid for working in a more global manner being able to pick up and use a photographic or television camera, write or edit a script (in several languages), record voice overs, edit video, sync, set-up and give multimedia presentations and supervise and demonstrate what I want from others in all of the above. I can do all of this because I have the academic and experience to find it easy, and of course I am well paid for it, above the level of the techs.

I am not being condescending here, but rather indicating that media managers are worth what they are paid and have considerably added duties and responsibilities beyond that of a straight photographer. I am also indicating that with a degree and photographic skills you can move a long way up within an organization.

skieur

I say stick with it, it will only get harder as you get older because you will have more responsibilities to deal with. I have gone back to school to study photography this year and now as a woman with a husband, home and dog to take care of (not to mention a pile of debts and bills) it's much harder now than when I was in college the first time around.

I think it's important to get a degree in ANYTHING. I'd stick with it, or switch degrees to business. Don't quit school. You are 20 years old, life only gets harder from here.

I think it's important to get a degree in ANYTHING. I'd stick with it, or switch degrees to business. Don't quit school. You are 20 years old, life only gets harder from here.

AMEN, You are TOO young to NOT be in school and it's always a good idea to get a degree in SOMETHING. Most companies will not bat an eye if you don't at LEAST have some sort of degree.

I did business administration for 2 yrs, realized it's not what i want and now am in IT multimedia and animation so I can do what I love..web designs...This is just something else i love I can incorporate.:lovey:

AMEN, You are TOO young to NOT be in school and it's always a good idea to get a degree in SOMETHING. Most companies will not bat an eye if you don't at LEAST have some sort of degree.

I did business administration for 2 yrs, realized it's not what i want and now am in IT multimedia and animation so I can do what I love..web designs...This is just something else i love I can incorporate.:lovey:

Agreed. I have heard repeatedly that a degree, any degree means that the person is most likely reasonably responsible, flexible, literate, and can articulate and express himself or herself in a coherent, sophisticated and professional manner.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back