Dell 2209wa monitor

Many Hats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, after an earlier thread on monitors and reading many reviews, I bought this monitor. I hate it. There must be something wrong with my resolution settings or something because all images I view in photoshop are short and wide. I opened a square file and it looks like a rectangle. After spending 3 hours on the phone with Dell, still no help. Anyone who has this monitor, please post what I must be doing wrong. I'm desperate!
Thanks,
Laura

do you have the screen set to its native resolution on the computer? Otherwise the computer will stretch images to fit the screen, which would have the effect you're talking about.

Try setting it to the max resolution, which should be 1680x1050 and let us know what happens.

It's set at 1600 x 1200 right now with the distortions I described. I tried the maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 which was still not good (same distortions). I seem to only be able to use Dell presets.

Is this an "aspect ratio" issue? I'll admit to not understanding this also.

I feel like (and am) such a computer nerd, but really want to learn all the aspects that appy to me. (10-20 years anyone?)
Again, all help/advice appreciated!
Laura

Yes it is. look at the numbers 1600x1200 is a 4:3 normal resolution. The native resolution of the monitor is 1680x1050 which is a 16:10 widescreen resolution. If you don't run your screen in a 16:10 ratio you will get distortion. If you don't run your screen at exactly the native resolution you will not get a 1:1 pixel mapping giving you blurry jagged lines. If you don't run your screen via a DVI digital connection (no 15pin VGA adapters, and no VGA cables) you are effectively converting from digital to analogue and back to digital causing colour loss, incorrect pixel phase, and again potentially losing the 1:1 mapping which is important for a quality display.

Basically something is setup wrong. The screen is awesome, I use one at work. If you use a DVI to DVI cable you should just need to set the correct screen resolution and you're done. If you use a VGA cable you need to select the correct resolution, and make sure the monitor correctly adjusts to it (find the autoset, it's in there somewhere). Providing your computer isn't 10 years old there's no reason why you shouldn't get excellent viewing out of your screen. (Update your video card drivers too it could be that the digital communications telling your computer everything about your screen aren't working)

perhaps try 1024x768?
Thats what I use on my screen. I can get 1280x768 but it distorts.

Yes it is. look at the numbers 1600x1200 is a 4:3 normal resolution. The native resolution of the monitor is 1680x1050 which is a 16:10 widescreen resolution. If you don't run your screen in a 16:10 ratio you will get distortion. If you don't run your screen at exactly the native resolution you will not get a 1:1 pixel mapping giving you blurry jagged lines. If you don't run your screen via a DVI digital connection (no 15pin VGA adapters, and no VGA cables) you are effectively converting from digital to analogue and back to digital causing colour loss, incorrect pixel phase, and again potentially losing the 1:1 mapping which is important for a quality display.

How do I get it to set at 1680x1050? Most it will allow me is 1600x1200. Computer doesn't have a DVI connection. Monitor also came with a USB cable. Should I be using that?

I tried the maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 which was still not good (same distortions). I seem to only be able to use Dell presets.
How do I get it to set at 1680x1050? Most it will allow me is 1600x1200. Computer doesn't have a DVI connection. Monitor also came with a USB cable. Should I be using that?
A little confusing above.
No DVI connection? Wow, that's not good. I'm not even sure the old analog signals allow 1680x1050, but even if it did, it won't look very good and possibly will look very wrong.
If it won't let you set to the native resolution, it may be that the monitor is not "installed". In other words they may be a CD that came with the monitor that will tell your graphics card that this monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050.

I was afraid of this. Tried the install again, didn't mention anything about my graphics card. May have to get a newer computer. Bummer!

That's one of the monitors I use too. It's also connected to a Dell computer.

You don't say what OS you're using, but you can right click on the desktop >Properties (Personalize)>Settings and see what is selected now.

OS is Windows XP. Got to admit computer is very old (less than 1 G RAM)
Gonna have to buy a new computer on a budget, but what is most important with this monitor?? All it will be used for is photo adjustments.

2009wa monitor
X rite I one calibration device
Computer specs???????????????

Guru's please help.
I bow to you advanced knowledge
Laura

Nononon. Don't attack something from the wrong angle. Ok so your RAM is a little low. Can you put more in? What CPU do you have? Even a basic old CPU with a decent amount of RAM (1GB or maybe 2 if supported), and a new video card. Even a basic video card will do your requirement.

If you upgrade your RAM and buy a very basic $50 video card you can probably get this all working for under $100.

If you do go with a new computer I suggest the following:
Intel Core2Duo or Core2Quad at a minimum. Don't buy those Celerons. Same go for AMD there's several classes of chips. Cheap, normal and workstation/server class. You don't want the cheap ones, as much of photo editing is very intensive on cache which is what the cheap ones are missing. As for actual GHz speed? Doesn't matter. The slowest Core2Duo is still better than a faster Celeron for photo editing.

RAM: It's cheap, don't skimp. Windows 7 will eat up 1GB just idling. You'd be mad not to put more than 2GB in. Like to edit large pictures? With Lightroom, Photoshop, and Windows 7 as the only thing running on my computer with Photoshop having a single RAW file open you will be on the very edge of 2GB already, so get 4GB if you want to try your hand at panoramas.

HDD: 1TB. It's cheap again.

Video card: As above you don't need the latest fancy Nvidia 295GTX. Even the cheapest card from the current lineup will not only run your screen just fine, feature analogue, digital, and possibly even TV connectors, but will also likely run the current generation of games reasonably.

Motherboard? Your choice.

Powersupply? Don't get suckered in to buying excessively large powersupplies. I run a top video card (which chews the most power), Core2Quad, 4xHDDs and a DVD drive from a 550W. The key is to get a quality PSU. Not a no-name. I've been happy with Antec as a brand but there are plenty others out there. Crap power is the biggest source of hardware failures.

You can build an absolute beast of a machine for under $500 these days.

Ok, but what about the no DVI connection issue? Will upgrading the video card fix this? If so, I'm off to Best Buy tomarrow!

Yes, the video card is where you hook the monitor to. A modern video card will definitely have a DVI port. If you are upgrading just the video card, you need to be aware of what video cards your motherboard supports. The older formats were AGP and the newer ones are PCI Express (or PCI-E). Then sub formats are 1x, 2x, 4x, etc. in each format. It's not as easy as just getting a new video card. You have some homework to do. Good luck

You all are amazing! Gonna piss off the Best Buy people tomarrow by bringing in tower, printout of this thread, and asking, "help me". If I can get out for less than the cost of a new computer...all the better. Garbz,anything you'd like to add before I go?
Thank you all so much for the help. This site and forum is incredible. Will let you know how it all turns out!

Yeah, don't get talked into extended warranty at Best Buys, buy the hardware and don't let them bull**** you around.

Good luck, report back :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back