Denise Photoshoot

PuppY_K1ck3R

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is my first time doing something like this. Usually i just do "snapshots" of girls. Wasnt really consious about lighting and post processing. Pls let me know if theres anything i can do with improving my technique and such. Thx

DSC_2988rez.jpg

DSC_3001rez.jpg

DSC_3046rez.jpg

well, you nicely lit the wall, but not the girl. you could indeed do something about your light IMHO.

I also wonder if something strange happened to her makeup (face) ... it does not look evenly distributed.

#2 is the best by far - it looks more professional, for lack of a better way to describe it. The last one is quite unflattering to her figure.

I don't like the orange tone of the lighting - it's not sexy, it's just odd and doesn't add anything.

well, you nicely lit the wall, but not the girl. you could indeed do something about your light IMHO.

I also wonder if something strange happened to her makeup (face) ... it does not look evenly distributed.

Thanx thats what i was thinking aswell. About her not being lit. My lighting setup needs work. Right now im using an SB600 and my on camera flash on my d80. I will also look into the makeup any tips on that?

I've heard good things about powdered mineral make-up on camera - most major make-up lines have a version, so it's something to try.

#1. The pose isn't good. It makes her shoulder look big compared to her head and it competes for attention with her face. It's also casting a shadow on her face.
The background isn't great in this shot and she looks underexposed. More flash exposure and less ambient.

#2. You have a nice shallow DOF going on here, that's good. But the angle and perspective are making her head look huge and awkward. Try using a longer lens for this type of thing and being farther away. The pillow is too prominent.

#3. The post looks and feels a bit awkward here as well. It makes her leg/thigh/but look bigger than it should. Again, I think the background is too distracting here.

Overall, there are some good points and some things that need work. One thing that strikes me is that her expression isn't great in any of these. That isn't a technical issue but a good photographer will find a way to get those good expressions to go with the mood & feel of the shoot.

#1. The pose isn't good. It makes her shoulder look big compared to her head and it competes for attention with her face. It's also casting a shadow on her face.
The background isn't great in this shot and she looks underexposed. More flash exposure and less ambient.

#2. You have a nice shallow DOF going on here, that's good. But the angle and perspective are making her head look huge and awkward. Try using a longer lens for this type of thing and being farther away. The pillow is too prominent.

#3. The post looks and feels a bit awkward here as well. It makes her leg/thigh/but look bigger than it should. Again, I think the background is too distracting here.

Overall, there are some good points and some things that need work. One thing that strikes me is that her expression isn't great in any of these. That isn't a technical issue but a good photographer will find a way to get those good expressions to go with the mood & feel of the shoot.

Thx mike. This is great for me. Im learning alot. One thing tho, what do u mean by using a longer lens in picture 2. Im using an 18-200mm with VR if that helps.

I thought using more ambient rather than flash would be better. But yes it is really orange. It could also be because I shot this in RAW and was messing with the whitebalance. Maybe I made it too warm.

If it were film, I would suggest a light blueish filter to cool the orange a little. I wonder if they are not a little under exposed and could use a little brightening up?
I agree with mike about the pictures. One needs a short telephoto the put the shoulder in proportion with ther head. I like the expression in this one
Two could use a little foreshortening to de emphisize her chin.
Three looks like something is about to happen she is not shure she will like, and maybe her hip is that big but you could try to bring it down a little,
Overall one is the best and I think is a keeper.
Judge Sharpe

One thing tho, what do u mean by using a longer lens in picture 2
Shorter focal lengths tend to accentuate things that are closer to them and give a feeling of depth or distance. Take a close up of someone's face/nose at 18mm (or wider) and you will see what I mean. Basically, you are making her head look too big because you are too close with too short of a focal length. The same may be true for the first image as well.

With a longer focal length, things tend to get compressed and look closer together. That is why you will hear that 100mm is a good length for portraits...because it's long enough to avoid the problems with wider angle lenses.

WB looks WAY off...every thing is orangey yellow. Easily corrected in PS or just customize your WB before the shoot.

Thanx thats what i was thinking aswell. About her not being lit. My lighting setup needs work. Right now im using an SB600 and my on camera flash on my d80. I will also look into the makeup any tips on that?

Usually when I see photos of a girl in lingerie on a hotel bed, I don't think of composition, but in your case I'll try and keep my mind in a clean state :)

From what I hear, a studio strobe with a softbox will make TONS of difference in your lighting. I know you don't have one, but just keep in mind some of the more "professional" looking shots you see will be using these sorts of methods of lighting. You can only provide so much soft, flattering light with a 2 square inch flash :)

The white balance is off (easy fix), and the light in the background of the third shot is kind of messing with the exposure. If I were you, I'd reshoot the whole thing, if for no reason than to get her to put the skirt back on. I know its horrible to have to get a hot chick to put on sexy lingerie and pose seductively for you, but try and manage :) I would then try putting something like a few pieces of toilet paper in front of your flash to soften it (I know its ghetto, but it works). And then, I'd adjust my white balance, turn off the table lights, and go from there. And most importantly, have fun (which shouldn't be to difficult)!

Edited to add: I don't want to say you SHOULD do this, but I would play around with taking out the crease between her booty and thigh in the third. I don't mind it, and I don't think anyone else really would, but your model might. Women get REALLY finicky about their thighs, and you might want to get rid of it if she thinks its not flattering. But it might make her look funny without it, and she also may not care. In either respect, I would leave it as is.

You might try some ambient light, perhaps from a window lit by the afternoon sun for these types of shots.

I would show you what I mean but my wife would kill me.:lol:

Senor Hound thx for your help. Again im taking down everything u guys are saying here. Great help and advice ur giving me. About it being too orange, thats not because of the shot. Its because i was messing with the wb in adobe bridge and was trying to go for a more stylized look. Senor Hound i took your advice about fixing the crease. Here are those shots again with the wb
fixed. Plus a blk and wht too.

DSC_2988rezfix.jpg

DSC_3001rezfix.jpg

DSC_3046fixrez.jpg

DSC_2943BLKwht.jpg

I dont like the first 3. They look a tad on the cheesy side. But the effort was there and I greatly appreciate that and I greatly appreciate the fac that these are different. I agree with the above post for critique.

Now the last one you posted is nice. I like the DOF, the composition, the pose, all of it. One thing that bothers me is she seems to have some "peach fuzz" on her face. I dont like that and for me, makes the photo look a tad on the manly side. There is also a shadow by her eye that bothers me. Both of these are easy fixes in PS. But what you can fix in PS is all the stuff you did well in this photo, so kudos on that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back