Depression

limeys_photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I suffer from depression. It was suggested to me to try photo as I have played around with this in the past and thought it would be a another way to express my artist side ( I used to paint).

I have only being doing it for a couple of months, but it has really help me. The feeling I get when I come home and see some great (for a beginner) shots is amazing. It has really cheered me up (as much as a person with depression can) and reading books on photography and this web site has given me goals to aim for.

Cheers
Shane

Welcome!

I think photography can help. It helps seeing the beauty of things around us, and helps expressing one's own feelings.

Welcome to TPF, Shane. Good to hear photography has therapeutic effects for you. Hope to see some of your pics.

I suffer from the same problem. Photography is a great way for me to get through this illness. I can't imagine a better spent day then taking some good pictures:)

Welcome!! I have generalized anxiety, it seems to always be with me...but when I am out walking with my cam or inside setting up macro shots I am in a different world and it all seems to fall away. Same for post processing. I am glad you find it as therapeutic!

By the way, this is perhaps the best forum I have ever visited - the people here are ALWAYS happy to help and courteous 99.9% of the time. Don't ever be shy to post or ask, and keep up the shooting!

welcome and post some pics soon.

photography is helpful in a lot of ways and glad it helps you:thumbup:

Welcome. Depression and addiction run in my family, and I'm glad to see that photogrpahy gives you a break.

the people here are ALWAYS happy to help and courteous 99.9% of the time.

I think MaxBloom takes up more than .1% :lmao:

Ok ok joking aside.
Depression and mental disorders are nothing to be ashamed of like so many people are made feel to be so I'm glad you're outright about it. I know people that have lost their job and won't be taken back because of it, no matter how good they were at that job.

I'm glad Photography is taking you up a few clicks. I do really want to recommend a book to you; Patrick Holford - Optimum Nutrition for the Mind. It's worth a try way before treatment with lithium pills etc. The bottom line of it is that depression depends a lot on (well a few things) but your blood sugar levels. When you feel a bout coming on stay away from alcohol like it's the devil (reduces blood sugar levels - induces depression), eat porridge/oats, apples and linseeds/flax seeds and do some really really difficult tiring exercise that's sure to exhaust you while listening to up music like AC/DC etc that'll keep you motivated.
Do not mope - react, be aggressive if necessary to beat it. (Team America fusk yeah!)
{edit}
you'll notice it's the more mentally active and creative that suffer the most, people that use their mind suffer from the mental exhaustion the most, and also the ignorance of the ignorant
{/edit}

I was thinking of doing a project to get my into a photog society here in Dublin... I was going to take candid head & shoulder portraits of cancer patients in civilian clothes. Just oridinary people looking ordinary and indifferent but really they all have something extremely serious in common.
Maybe it would be interesting for you to do one of people that suffer from mental disorders/ depression etc.
I was thinking "Jane Doe/ lung cancer", "Jim doe, skin cancer", "Jill doe, breast cancer".......

Really it's just an idea forming in my head but since you started with "I suffer from..." then maybe it's something that you could make a photographic journey/study off and maybe it's not one bit interesting for you?

Anyway welcome onboard. Post some photos and we'll be working with you on perfection. Sometimes the result is anal but it's positive none-the-less.

One last thing... if you feel you're coming down, come on here and rant away. We've all been there at one moment or another and can share the stress.

Ray. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

One last comment: The hardest thing for people to do is "to use their minds", that's why most people don't. The rest aren't even aware.

where is max have not had a banter with him for ages???:lmao:

lol

just seem to be checking out the same threads:lmao:

DO NOT BE SCARED:drool:

mm.:lmao:mm nice thought

now back to the photography:sexywink:

Big up! That sounds very positive. The arts of course can be very healing.

Art is a journey. There will be good times and there will be bad times. Understand your position in the medium and what you are trying to get out of it. I think that is the best way to progress and to stay a strong. Sounds like you are on a good road!

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back