rangerrick9211

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm having issues...
That have led to much sadness...

My Canon 40D won't turn on.

Let me lay it out. Siblings graduations... Taking pictures all last night. Dinner, still taking pictures. At one point during dinner I let me GF use it, she turns it off, it won't turn back on. Nothing happened to it, no drops or random screwing of options. I have tried charging the battery, no go, trying a different battery, no go, cleaning connections on the battery, no go. Talked to Canon, they would like me to ship it in a get an evaluation and an estimate of how much it will take to fix it. So, any suggestion for a fix or ideas of the issue, please let me know.

Until then, I shall sit here seaching for the bottom of a bottle and thinking back on the good times me and Mr. 40D had together.

Have you checked the internal battery? It should be accessable from the battery compartment - its one of those small cell type ones that keeps the clock and other things going in the camera. It could be that that battery has died or needs a little clean - try removing and putting it back in or even replacing it if that fails

Have you checked the internal battery? It should be accessable from the battery compartment - its one of those small cell type ones that keeps the clock and other things going in the camera. It could be that that battery has died or needs a little clean - try removing and putting it back in or even replacing it if that fails

Tried it, it was one of the first things I tried as well. Any other suggestions?

Did you try a different battery? Maybe the battery is faulty...

Or an AC adapter, if you have one.

EDIT
Oops, I see that you did.

Nevermind...

Last edited:
Depression continues. Through internet searching and talking to Canon, looks like the option is to front the money and send it to canon to get worked on. Oh joy. Thank your for the responses though.

Sucks, but that's probably all you can do. It doesn't sound like something you can fix yourself.

Don't forget to remove your memory card first. You might not get it back if you dont.

Sucks, but that's probably all you can do. It doesn't sound like something you can fix yourself.

Don't forget to remove your memory card first. You might not get it back if you dont.

Great point. Thanks for the reminder.

ooh....that doesnt sound good at all. The 40D is an expensive camera, try a different power source, or let the internal battery charge? I dont konw.....im only good at turning wheels and pushing the little silver button....

hope you get it fixed!

Have you removed the CF card without turning it off ? that can cause this problem, try taking both batteries out together, is the lens fitted propery ?

Have you removed the CF card without turning it off ? that can cause this problem, try taking both batteries out together, is the lens fitted propery ?

I don't know if this is the case with the 40d, but when I try to open the CF card door, my XTi immediately turns off as a protective measure. It could be the culprit, but I think it's unlikely.

Don't fret. In my experience, Canon's repair prices have been very reasonable. Depending when you send it in, it can be kind of slow. But, you'll get it back feeling all fresh and nice.

I wouldn't worry too much.

My camera was gone for three + weeks getting repaired. It was the most depressing time of my life. I took Easter pictures of my kids with a p & s and I didn't even bother to crouch down to make eye contact..I was too sad. On the bright side, I did A LOT of reading that month and everywhere I went I saw ALL of the pictures I was missing and felt so inspired by the time I got it back that I think it was probably a good thing, in hind sight. Just get it in the mail ASAP so you aren't wasting any more time!

Shipping to Canon today... But so far, somewhat unimpressed with the quality of service compared to some other products(computers) that I've had to deal with similarly.

I'll let you know how the whole process plays out. Till then, I will be praying for a speedy return and catching up on some processing of old photos. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back