Depth of Field and C&C please...

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I haven't even had my first DSLR a week, and I went out today and shot some photos with the intent of learning depth of field. Would you guys please point out what I did right and what I did wrong? Remember I'm a supernoob so I need all the help I can get... Thanks in advance...

DSC00143forPB2.jpg

ShallDOFforPB.jpg

I think there should be a little bit more blur in the foreground on the tree one. and just a bit bigger DoF in the second.

Remember that DOF is used to bring your subject into detail while letting the eye relax on everything else. Of course this is a general rule, and there are times when you might do the opposite.

However in these pictures, neither of them have a subject... you're letting the DOF be the subject. It's a TOOL, it isn't a subject.

Well, Clockwork, this isn't very helpful as a comment and some comments are better only just thought up in one's head but not expressed in words ...

... but anyhow: to me, these photos look every bit like a newbie first testing out the effects of shallow DOF with a first DSLR. Which is justifiable, since that is EXACTLY what you were doing! You are enjoying the possibilities your camera is offering you and you are PLAYING with it, testing out all sorts of things. Just the approach to take ... though, of course, little of what comes out of the testing is really that show-worthy in the end.

But I see ever so many photos taken by newcomers to the hobby testing their possibilities for shallow DOF and blurred backgrounds, and enjoying the effect and the bokeh they get.

But for future tests remember what RMThompson is telling you: choice of DOF is meant to put the focus on your subject, and not to a random middle part of your photo.

I'm sure you'll get there. Never stop playing and testing and thus learning how to use your camera best.

Yup, this is exactly what my first hundred shots from my K10 looked like, especially so after I bought my 50mm 1.4! (It was at full-open for nearly every shot!) Since then, I've shot many photos that upon review, would have been better with a deeper dof. I'm slowly learning what dof is appropriate for any given situation.

Although I like the concept of the wood deck in the second shot. Give it a more purposeful focus point, some good lighting, a more coordinated background and maybe a subject - you might have a really cool shot. But keep it wide like that.

At least someone commented on these photos!!!!!!

I have posted and gotten 0 feedback on two threads----what's up with that?????

consider yourself blessed.

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate the feedback. RMT, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, even though I really wasn't paying attention to subjects, I also didn't realize that I should be using it as a tool for a subject. I'm going to Napa Valley and San Fran at the end of May so I'm trying to learn as much as I can in that short time... Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back