Depth of field question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by sparc872, Dec 31, 2004.

1. sparc872

sparc872 TPF Noob!

g g g g

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The smaller the number the smaller the DOF. The exact amount of DOF will very depending on focal lenght. For example, f 3.5 at 28 will still look like it has a pretty large DOF, while the same f-stop at 90 will produce a much shorter DOF. Also distance from subject effects it. Actually i'm not sure if it really does or not, it may just appear to because the smaller objects look more realistic blurred

3. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

4. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yeah like tr0gd0o0r was saying: the closer you are to your subject the less depth of field there is. If your lens is one of the kinds that has a manual aperture ring, then it probably has little lines showing you what distances will be in focus. If you notice, as you focus farther, the focal distances marked on the lens get farther apart (or they stay the same distance and the numbers get bigger at faster rates), until you eventually get to infinity. For example, on my 50mm prime, at f/11 when focusing closely the markings show that anything between 1.55ft and 1.7ft will be in focus. That' a DOF range of just under 2 inches. But when focusing at something farther, at the same aperture, it says that anything between 8ft and 25ft will be in focus -- a much larger distance. So it would be pretty hard to do a log for DOF. It might just be easier to learn through experience. Or that DOF master ferny linked to ;) .
    Hmmm looks like I've gone and made another excessively long post to explain something kind of simple. I must like doing that 8)