Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, my stepdad, aka boss, wants me to put together a broshure on our company. Is there a way to set up the pages, ect in PS? Is there a website or a tutorial that will help me out? Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before. THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

Corry, do you have to use PS? Are you looking to do a tri-fold brochure? I am sure someone will be able to help you out, but if you have access to Microsoft Publisher you might find it easier. I use Publisher for my business cars and brochures and it's worked well. There are a variety of templates that are all editable.

Photoshop isn't a page layout tool whatsoever. Quark, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator or Publisher (like Alison mentioned) are a few examples of software packages you would use for a brochure design.

Quark is great, I've used that one as well. Just a little more pricey that Publisher I would guess ;)

AlisonS said:
Quark is great, I've used that one as well. Just a little more pricey that Publisher I would guess ;)
just a tad ;) but Quark is the industry standard for print design.

No I don't have to use PS, but I can't buy any software...I have to use what I have. I can see what all my boyfriend has...he's gotta have something I can use. I just didn't know if you could use PS or not for something like that. No, it's not going to be a trifold broshure. It's going to be several pages binded together. Somewhat extensive, but not overly elaborate.

Well, you could probably just turn on the grid lines to line things up and use some text layers. If it's not going to fold it should be easier.

AlisonS said:
Well, you could probably just turn on the grid lines to line things up and use some text layers. If it's not going to fold it should be easier.

I'll find out what programs I can get my hands on without buying anything. Any other tips and tricks? More what I'm after though...any links to good websites that can help talk me me through it? Like I said, I've never done anything like this before..complete newbie. I'm looking forward to it, though. Should be fun! :)

Yeah, what they said. I do a lot of prepress production. We have one client that produces 90% of there job in photoshop and it is nothing short of a nightmare. Fonts are always missing, half are left in RGB, the files are ridiculously huge, blah, blah. Then again he does not really know what he is doing.

Pshop 7 and above handles vector issues well; dare I say that Illustrator can be avoided. Basically you will run into trouble with multiple pages of text. The file could be converted to a PDF to make things easier on the printer. If you are producing the original from your inkjet things are much easier.

Also keep in mind that publishing is mostly Macintosh based. Windows/Mac conversion can be tricky. We do not even accept Publisher files.

Personally, you are creating an extension of your company and or product. Skimping on production sends a bad message.

even microsoft word is a better option for layout than Photoshop. I use Quark or InDesign for page layout, but unfortunately at work they're cheap and make me use what they have.

for a bifold brochure (three panels) its really easy... in your page setup set all your margins to .25", and then create 3 columns with a gutter of .5"... that will give you the perfect setup so it folds properly... then just use text layers and pictures to fill it all in. Its rudimentary, but it works.

I have used MS Word to make brochures for my company. It's obviously not the best option but it's probably better than using PS.

Here are some tips...

Put all text blocks into text boxes

Set all boxes & pictures to float over text so that you can place them freely on the page.

If you can convert them to PDF format when you are done, the files will be much more manageable...especially if you want to have them professionally printed.

It's not great but here is an example http://www.norseman.ca/norseman/assets/construction/archbldg.pdf

I used QuarkXPress in college...*cough* It was ok. Did the job. Reminded me of using word perfect for Window 3.1..:/ or microsoft word for that matter.

Corel Draw is a prog you may find a demo of. It allows you to publish straight to .pdf as well, so you could easily create the brochure and then upload it as well as print it.

http://www.pictureinfinity.com/brochure.pdf

I'm not sure if they'll allow us to link it, but if not, it's on our front page as well, so you can see what Draw does.

M

I used QuarkXPress in college...*cough* It was ok. Did the job. Reminded me of using word perfect for Window 3.1..:/ or microsoft word for that matter.

*gasp* i hope you were using a REALLY old version... because those programs just don't compare. theres a reason QuarkXpress (and Adobe InDesign) are industry standards for print work! :wink:

Seriously, what you need to use is a combination of many.

PS for all immagery! And idealy in-design for any layout purposes, in-design does as much as you will need without the complexity of quark!
Illustrator is great for presenting say a page and can be easyly ported into in-design.

NEVER do text on PS as it looks awful when printed!

On the subject of buying stuff, Adobe stuff is expencive as you like. You can get demos that last for like 30days off the adobe web page or you could download copys off Kazza or summit! Dont recomend Coral or Microsoft publisher for more proffesional pieces, as they are cack.

Final note, make sure you save in a format that is easyly printable, nothing exotic! PDF are safest if your brocure is simple enougth, printshop changes will cost a fortune! So do as much as you can yourself!

Most reactions

Back