Designing A Face.

henrycooke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hey, here are two pictures i've been working on for school, looking for critique. They are both from my contax 137 MD (Film) camera, been developed by me then scanned the prints in.
My theme is feminine beauty and how our views on it can be changed my mass media and whether some of these views promote insecurity and unhealthy lifestyle choices.(CLICHE TO THE MAX) I placed the plans over both of these girls heads look into faces being designed/engineered rather than grown. To gain this effect i took the prints to an architect i know and got her to do some floor plan esque drawings on tracing paper based on the dimensions of each girls face. I then scanned them in and simply used the multiply layer blending feature in photoshop too affix then above, needed a little bit of alignment. One of the photos needs me to clone stamp out some scratches. Anyway enough talk, here they are:

3774107568_399d1f3db4.jpg

3774107576_1a16c8203a.jpg

PS yeah the top image was in another thread without the plans, mybad.

PPS Seeing as these images are film photos but digitally scanned in and whatnot i'm not sure which board this thread belongs in. :S

Last edited:
My theme is feminine beauty and how our views on it can be changed my mass media and whether some of these views promote insecurity and unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Your theme is clear and obvious to you, because, after all, it's your theme. But will others see this theme in your images? I didn't. A viewer might just as plausibly see an architect envisioning future buildings, or a person dreaming of becoming an engineer, or any number of other themes.

I see draft plans and cosmetic surgery. Nice composition.

i really like the concept here.
take it further, and make it even more yours by not using existing plans to a building, but by drawing your won plans on top of the faces...i like the style of the lines...very architectural looking...keep going...push it further. i dig it.
maybe try light blue lines?...like the architects use...might also be a nice contrast from the black.

i really like the concept here.
take it further, and make it even more yours by not using existing plans to a building, but by drawing your won plans on top of the faces...i like the style of the lines...very architectural looking...keep going...push it further. i dig it.
maybe try light blue lines?...like the architects use...might also be a nice contrast from the black.

The OP had the overlays done by an architect. ;)

I agree, push this further. It's a neat idea, and I for one got it right away in combination with the title. You could take it further doing full body or 3/4 shots and doing the same. Call it "Designing Beauty" or something. Totally on my list of ideas I'm most likely to copy (the highest form of flattery I can come up with ;) ).

I also agree with the blue. Try it, it might just be a cool contrast (and it wouldn't get lost at the edges of the face).

Your theme is clear and obvious to you, because, after all, it's your theme. But will others see this theme in your images? I didn't. A viewer might just as plausibly see an architect envisioning future buildings, or a person dreaming of becoming an engineer, or any number of other themes.

I see where you are coming from, but luckily within the context of this presentation they should hopefully be able to get it, these two will be within two A1 boards of other images with many different techniques etc.

Thanks everyone for the critique!

Blue lines is an interesting idea, i hadn't thought of that.

The OP had the overlays done by an architect. ;)

woah...you are right...and to think i read the inital post thoroughly :lol:
i must be going mad.

must....read.....slower

The first question you should ask yourself: what is it made for? And then answer to your question with the result of your work. If you like the answer, then the work is good.

Don't be sorry! It's nice to see that you're continuing this project. Brilliant mate, brilliant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back