designing a website..

kevinblahh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey i was hoping to get some tips from some people on here who have experience with making websites. right now im doing some basic stuff with dreamweaver, but i was wondering if someone could give me some info or direction on tips for using flash, because i wanna present my photos and info through flash format, thanks for the help in advance.:wink:

Why Flash? Not like you can get tips to use it properly, something that takes time to learn unless you get a template. Even then you should have some experience. Do a google search you may find some beginner tutorials.

Becuase with a flash environment, its a little more challenging to "steal" the pics than using other technologies.

That said, this is more of a photography site, not a flash design site. There are TONS of sites that I found help me design my work site... a google for "flash website design" will offer you a lot more sites than you will get here, and lead you to the answers you need/want. :)

Good luck!

Harder to steal because it is made in Flash? If you insist. I can get each photo every from a flash site if I so choose, it is a not any safer than any other method of displaying your photos. It even in some ways makes it so much easier, can get the lot at once instead of one at a time. I think that is very misleading and is why there are all these horrid flash sites out there. Just my two cents.

I did not say impossible.

I also have access to the programs that can completely download and decompile flash sites. However, its not as easy as "right-click and save to", which a LOT more people know about and sadly can and do so. :) (disabling the right click is also a no-brainer to get around).

Another advantage is that flash integrates motion a LOT easier than HTML, XML or ASP. Flash was initially designed as a video format that just happened to fit better into the WWW than actual competition against the fullsized video programs.

As to a conversation concerning website formats, I think we could leave that to another forum or time. ;)

Why I think using Flash for security is a bad idea and why I was curious why they wanted to use Flash. Depending on what version of Dreamweaver he can just do a slide show in it and do other security measures and end up with a nicer site if they are doing their own design. Until someone is good at flash it should be avoided and even then used far less than it currently is and never for security, tends to make people lazy and does not offer any more security than disabling right click and we all know how well that works lol.

flash is often a killer for some webrowsers on non-standard PC platforms.

think of people with handheld devices.

I would just use HTML and PHP scripting.

You might want to take a look around for an open source flash gallery. For example, I stumbled across this in a Google search: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it could provide a good starting point.

I do have to agree with CanadianMe though. With screen capture technology built into both PC and Mac operating systems, anyone who wants to grab a copy of a picture they see can do so easily regardless of what language the gallery is coded in.

You might want to take a look around for an open source flash gallery. For example, I stumbled across this in a Google search: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it could provide a good starting point.

I do have to agree with CanadianMe though. With screen capture technology built into both PC and Mac operating systems, anyone who wants to grab a copy of a picture they see can do so easily regardless of what language the gallery is coded in.

that links basicaly the format i wanna have for a site, so im gonna look at that, thanks!

so to come back to this, what would people suggest for a good webhost, because i think im gonna use the simpleviewer thing with the site, and then i wanna have like an about page, contact page, and something else. Or, what should i look at for disk space and bandwith?

Most reactions

Back