Desolate walk in the snow C&C pls

Captain IK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this last weekend. It was quiet at the time, but obviously I was not the first person to walk the hill that day.

C&C welcome
DSC_0305-1.jpg

Considering my camera hasn't even gotten here, I feel decidedly unqualified to answer -- but what the heck.

I love the sparkles on the snow and the shadowed depths of the footprints. If there was any way to better differentiate the horizon, I think it would improve the photo. Right now the color of the sky and the snow sorta blend together and I found myself hunting for the horizon line and that took precendence over the actual subject (footprints).

True about the blending of snow and sky (welcome to ThePhotoForum, by the way, Mauravdl!) and I am not too fond of the placement of the horizon, it divides the photo into two equal halves, which makes it somewhat less interesting than it could have been. As I interpret things, it were the FOOTPRINTS that mattered to you most. Not the sky. So why not put the camera further down and capture MORE of your actual subject, less of the sky, and automatically have the horizon on the border to or inside the upper third?

What LaFoto said! You could even crop about 2/3 of the sky off as is and it would make for a beautiful wide photo. Scroll down the page enough so that happens and see what you think, I reckon it transforms the photo immediately.

I actually like the picture because it begs the question.... Why are so many people walking up what looks like an empty hill to nowhere and all in the same spot?

This photo tells a story.

I actually like the picture because it begs the question.... Why are so many people walking up what looks like an empty hill to nowhere and all in the same spot?

This photo tells a story.

Good question. What exactly is on the other side of the hill that there such travel?

Thanks for the comments.

Here's another shot taken just before (or maybe just after) the first. This perhaps is the better of the two.
DSC_0304.jpg

BTW...
I don't know what is on the other side.
Never did climb the hill. lol ;)

I like this second one much better. I like how the path starts to your right, because it grabs my attention and makes me follow the path.

I like this, I think the meandering path taken is quite fascinating...

I like the second one, by far.

Last edited:
The second photo you took (no matter if it was taken before or after the photo you posted first!) is the better of the two! Much better by far. Focus clearly is on the footprints, not only technically speaking, but also compositionally, and the fact that they cut a diagonal - and later zigzagged - line through the photo make it even more interesting, along with the fact that the higher up horizon is so much better chosen! Now it speaks even more and the story about "where did they all go to???" is much more interestingly told!

Thank you for the comments.
It's funny how a photographer (if I can take the liberty of calling myself one) can look at his/her own work and not see the obvious differences between two pictures.
I guess it's the "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario
Looking at them now I would agree that the 2nd one is much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back