Desperate for Help!!

morgandawn13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!
I'm brand new to the film scene and just recently got my first DSLR. It's a Canon Rebel T4i. I did some research to determine the first lenses I should buy and purchased a Canon EFS 18-55 mm and a Canon FD 50mm with the adapter.
The 18-55 mm works great and I've had a blast messing around with it, but the 50mm is a nightmare and is basically useless. I can only get it to focus on tiny portions and have to hold it extremely close to the subject. I was told this lens was good for vlogging, but as it is now, I can't use it for vlogging or anything else for that matter. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I misread what kind of lense to buy? Is it a compatibility problem with my camera?
Please help!!!

what 50mm lens do you have?
im not overly familiar with canon, but is the 50mm lens a macro lens? you may be using its macro feature and thats why it will only focus on tiny stuff.

Adapter must have a glass element in it to focus to Infinity, otherwise lens will focus only up close.

FWIW, your 18-55 also has 50mm in it's range.
So other than that the 50mm is the larger aperture. If you are using f/1.8 you'll have Depth of Field to deal with vs what ever the 18-55@50 is at.

I think you might of heard the wrong information. With Vlogging, you tend to hold the camera close to your face in a selfie manner. I have done this for a YouTube with both a 10-18mm and a 50mm and found the wide angle lens was a lot better to work with as far as framing and get subjects in shot. I would refer to this guide for finding what lens would be best for Vlogging.

I think you might of heard the wrong information. With Vlogging, you tend to hold the camera close to your face in a selfie manner. I have done this for a YouTube with both a 10-18mm and a 50mm and found the wide angle lens was a lot better to work with as far as framing and get subjects in shot. I would refer to this guide for finding what lens would be best for Vlogging.

Agreed. Many vloggers just use a go pro or similar.

Since it’s crop even the 18 is pretty tight. That’s a 28mm full frame equivalence to vlog and often times you want something wider like 24 in full frame so that’s something at least less then 16mm on your crop camera. Vloggers always go for wide angle lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

About the vlogging: I agree that even the zoom at 18mm is probably going to be a bit difficult to use since your alignment in front of the camera could be hard to maintain if you are thinking about hand-holding the camera at arm's length. It would be better if you have it on a stand and sit back a bit from it. The 50mm would have to be used even further, at least something like 4' away from you.

And yes, the FD lens on a "plain" adapter is not going to focus to infinity on that camera. You would be better off trading it in for something else.

Most reactions

Back