Desperate for Lens Help

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by AmberBella, Jul 19, 2008.

1. AmberBella

AmberBella TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know this gets asked all the time...but I'm just dying here. I've looked at the same lenses over and over and over, but I just can't decide! Right now I only have my Canon XTi's kit lens (18-55mm F3.5-5.6), and the 50mm 1.8....no speedlight or anything. I desperately want a good walk around lens and I'm stuck. I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a vacation in Texas and want the new lens by then.

Sadly, my interests are everything...I expect that I'll want to do both macro-ish shots as well as fairly wide landscapes. I keep saying...well, if I need the 18mm I can always use the kit...and if I need the 2.8 I can always use the 50mm and my brain keeps tossing between all the choices.

I'm considering the following:
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD - Pleased with the maximum ap but concerned that it won't be wide enough...also, will it shoot decent flowers for a walk-around.

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens - Pleased with the range, but concerned with the maximum ap and macro capabilities.

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro Lens - Fairly pleased with the range (I think) and macro capabilities, but concerned with the quality and changing aperture.

I welcome all thoughts, opinions, suggestions. My price range is below $600.

2. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L USM ($560)

'L' Glass baby, super sharp!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I can't speak to specifics about Canon glass, but a 70-200 (105-300 equiv) is most definitely not a walkaround lens, esp. if there's a concern that a 28 won't go wide enough.

I have used my Nikon 18-70 for a 'daily use' lens for a long time, and have found it to be an ideal focal range for almost everything. Of the three you list, I would be inclined toward the last one; with the high ISO performance of modern DSLRs, I don't think the reduced max apeture will be all that big a concern.

4. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    I cant say its a good landscape or wide angle lens, but it sure is a good walk around lens ;) Lots of people will also say that.

5. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    I say go for either the 70-200 or the other canon you specified.

Ya 4 isnt a big aperture but its not small either. The question is do you need it? If you use it during the day mostly and never at night/indoor it should be fine. If you wanna use it indoor there cant be any motion or u need to use a flash...

If you want macro, get a dedicated macro lens, not a lens that also does macro...

Canon 100mm Macro woot woot :)

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    macro point - a lens that does do macro tends to not focus as close as a true macro lens will - its a nice feature, but not a nessessity. A true macro lens is really the best thing (canon 100mm macro fits into you budget if you want to go for macro - it also works well as a portrate lens)
    As for walkabout it really depends what you consider walkabout at times - us wildlife lot often consider 300mm a nice range for a walk! ;)

The 70-200mm is a very good lens and some do use it for landscaping - however that is often combined with a tripod and panning the shot - and then later stitching several shots together in editing.
    Also I think you have to sit down and start prioritizing your lenses - the joy of SLR is being able to switch lenses for the best for a particular shot. All commers lenses are very good for learning on and also make a good way of trying out new things for yourself (such as macro) but in the end they are taking a lot of photo quality loss in order to be able to do so many things. If I were you I would think what you really want the lens to do.
    You have a wideangle in you kit lens and you have a fast lens in you 50mm - so work out what you are missing or if you want to upgrade your kit lens with a better model lens

7. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might want to consider the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS. It is under $500 and you can't beat the versatility for the money. It's not "L" glass, but I have been very satisfied with the IQ of mine.