Despite the "Fong Dong" argument lol

There are two types of people in the world, ones that don't use a lightsphere and assholes....;)

I think when you mention somebody's product, you should provide a link to it:

The Gary Fong Lightsphere Speed Snoot Flash Speedlight Accessory.

And it's NOT $60, either. It sells for $59.95 (on sale).

That being said; I made one from found materials, and will one day make another one of a different color. (photos when that happens)

I look at the Fong diffuser as a tool for LOW-ceilinged rooms, like apartments, and also very small,cramped spaces, like aboard larger boats and yachts, and other types of VERY small, cramped rooms. In those kinds of places, the inverse square law produces ceiling bounce flash that is VERY hot at the face of people, and which falls of about 4 EV by their belt buckle. I've shot in such places, low-ceiling rooms and aboard a larger yacht type boat with a low-ceilinged "salon", and bounce flash is wayyyyy too hot. The Fong spews light all over he!! and back, so it's sort of an omni-directional diffuser for standard speedlight type flash units.

It's a tool, like a snoot or grid, but in reverse. People hating on it usually don't understand--it's just ONE, single light modifier, which can be used well if it's matched to the kind of scenarios it was designed for. Hating on it is kind of narrow-minded. It's like saying, "I LOATHE 40-degree grids! ALl they do is narrow the beam!" Uhhhh, yeah...and sometimes, that's a good thing.

Still...if you want an omni-directional flash modifier/accessory, the Sto-Fen type cap does about what the Fong Dong does.

Honestly, anyone who understand the inverse square law should also understand why the FongDong and it's knock offs won't do for you what bouncing the flash will, in so far as filling the room with light (as it claims to). Anyone who understands the simple principle that a larger light source will give you softer light should also understand that the FongDong won't beat out bounce flash. What you're really saying is that your friend doesn't yet understand these two basic photographic principles.

I love bounce flash when I can do that, but I've been in rooms with high, black ceilings where that just ain't a great option. Hopefully, not everyone who picks one of these up thinks it's a solution for every lighting problem, but if it's a useful tool in some circumstances, it might be worth consideration.

When you can't bounce flash there are still better options for less money. ;)

I was in a restaurant recently where I felt like my head was going to hit the ceiling (an I'm only 5'7"), I just threw the light behind me and off the side wall. Granted I don't think the people at the tables behind us liked that too much. :oops: :lol: In really small spaces I'll just whip out the pixel kings and put the flash in a corner.

Granted I'm also a huge fan of the large rogue flash bender with diffusion panel. :)

I have a flashbender + diffusion panel as well that I use at weddings when I can't bounce. My friend (wedding photog) has the gary fong thing and she really likes it. I wouldn't mind trying it out. But I do like the flashbender.

Add your watermark on a vinegar bottle, and people see it as a brand name.

Hmm.. you know, I think I may have just hit on the next big thing in flash diffusers:

ghk-grey-poupon-deli-condiments-mdn.jpg

Most reactions

Back