Destination Weddings

California has around 38.9 million citizens that we know about, according to the US Census Bureau's last official total. California has a larger economy than MOST of the countries in the entire world. It is a very populous state in these United States. The cost of living there in the major cities is quite high. The weather is good, and it has a long,long coastline. I would emphasize your outdoor/beach photo skill set. But the issue is you're from a very far-away land. And it is now 2017, not 2004. I've heard stories and anecdotes and accountings of several photographers that DID what it is that you want to do, but those accounts were all pre- iPhone 4. Personal belief: the way the majority, the vast majority, think about photos, and use photos, and share photos of real people and regular events has changed markedly since then. I think you are behind the curve on this project, ands yet, you might be successful at pulling it off. I would never say never to your idea. Never. But still...2017...

Weddings are now very widely, being shot with engagement and save-the-date sesions beforehand...that has become something that "ties" the couple to one another and to their photographer a bit more than the old method I am familiar with. I dunno...like I mentioned, 38.9 million people...but...flying in a photographer and paying his way to come shoot the wedding...I suppose that would appeal to a sub-set of people, but that entails a LOT of pre-trip communication. Skype calls, consultations, contracts, etc.. and it still does not get the couple their engagement or save the date sessions...

Valid points.

However, I'm not doing this to get rich or even make money. I just want to see the great American parks and meet some cool people.

I'm what you would class as a "high end" wedding photographer in my country. Published and award winning and all that rubbish lol. Not being pretentious but what I'm saying is it would be worth it (and I'm sure there are a tonne of photographers better than me in Cali)

1. They would pay less than a high end Photographer in your country (generally speaking)

2. Referrals mean everything, and to get recommended from half way across the world means a lot. So I have an upper hand where their family and friends have already experienced me and how I work and have built relationships.

3. They can still have an engagement shoot, I won't be flying in the day of the wedding.

4. I've done weddings in other country's before just not America so I have a fair idea of how to go about it just not in your beautiful land.

5. If it happens it happens, I don't care if I have to shoot the wedding for free. I'll still come to America but if a couple are willing to fly me over then awesome.

I would genuinely be doing this "job" for free if I were a wealthy man. I love the lifestyle, the people, sharing someone's day is amazing to me.

Also a quick point. A lot of us top NZ wedding photographers travel round the world for this, I'm not sure if maybe it's different in America as its such a vast land or maybe people just think getting a photographer from NZ is exotic or something haha I dunno but yeah, travelling for weddings is pretty popular in NZ

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Well, see, all good, valid points. You're the kind of guy who ought to be able to pull this off, hence my never say never stance on this. I would definitely leverage the personal referrals thing with the destination clients, and emphasize the "Flying in from NZ," aspect of the deal. That is something "different", and kind of has a cachet to it, in my opinion. it is a selling point I would try to emphasize.

There are weddings here from $300 to $900, to $1,500 to $2,499 to $3k,4k,5k,8k,10k,etc.. Lots of weddings among 38.9 million people. I suspect if your goal is to get to California and shoot a couple weddings, that could be lined up.

Well, see, all good, valid points. You're the kind of guy who ought to be able to pull this off, hence my never say never stance on this.

Haha thanks Derrel..I think lol.

I'm genuinely just a friendly photographer who wants to come to America and give a couple a good deal at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back