Developing 4x5

Tiller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just received a beautiful 4x5 from Rick58 (a joy to do business with), and I'm ready to start trying my own developing.

Here's what I have:

- Calumet 4x5 with lens
- Kodak D-76 developer
- Photographer's Forumulary TF4
- Arista EDU Ultra 100 ISO - 50 Sheets (currently on backorder)
- Daylight Developing Tank with film holders

My google-fu must be weak, because I cannot seem to find a good resource that shows how to develop this way. It seems as if everyone does tray developing.

If anyone could give me an in-depth guide, or point me to one, on how to develop 4x5 with a daylight tank, I would appreciate it.

Here's a photo of the developing tank:

IMG_8705.jpg by tsmcdona, on Flickr

IMG_8706.jpg by tsmcdona, on Flickr

Thank you all in advance!

The struggle with daylight sheet tanks is getting even development. Most of the designs try and stuff too many sheets in the tank at once and the development flow between the sheets isn't adequate -- the negative (pun) result of this is over developed edges. Daylight inversion tanks help with this but it looks like yours won't invert. So how many sheets does the tank hold? Consider dividing that by two and leaving every other slot blank and then make sure you agitate well.

I solved this problem by using daylight tanks in the dark. I got everything ready to go. Poured the developer into the tank in the light with the lid on and then turned off the lights and took off the lid. With latex gloves on!!! I agitated the film by lifting the holder up and down in the developer and lifting the holder completely out of the tank each cycle. DON'T TIP THE HOLDER AND DUMP THE FILM!!! When the development time was up I replaced the lid and turned on the lights and proceeded with the process.

Joe

There are 10 film holders. Here's a quick shot with my iPhone of one of them.

Attachments

• $image-925060413.jpg
    $image-925060413.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 273
Hey Tyler,

Joe just gave you probably the best solution.

The way the tank is supposed to work is, you pour the chemicals in through the large hole and pour it out using the odd shaped corner. I've gotten good results using all the hangers, but only loading every other one, using the empty hangers as a spacer. These tanks aren't invertible. I used to have a small piece of Plexiglas rod that I set down under the middle of the tank so I could rock the tank back and forth for agitation. You'll want to premeasure how much fluid to use so you don't over or under fill the tank. You'll also want to give the tank a sharp rap or two to dislodge any air bulbs. Hold onto the lid as you do this so you don't jar the lid off.

Last edited:
Are there directions for how much developer and fixer to use? I really am a complete beginner.

Oh yeah..BTW, these tanks have been boxed in my garage for quite a few years so you'll want to make sure they're spotlessly clean before using it. You don't want to wash any dirt from inside the light trap into you tank. The same with the frames. There's a lot of places for dirt to hide in them

Some tanks have it printed on the tank. I don't believe these do. Fill the tank with water until the top of the hanger is covered. Pour this water back into a measuring device, there you have it.

Last edited:
Some tanks have it printed on the tank. I don't believe these do. Fill the tank with water until the top of the hanger is covered. Pull this water back into a measuring device, there you have it.

Good idea. Thanks Rick.

Some tanks have it printed on the tank. I don't believe these do. Fill the tank with water until the top of the hanger is covered. Pull this water back into a measuring device, there you have it.

Rick's nick name on the CB Radio is Archimedes.....

TPF's very own Gavjenks has used this PVC tube development method that Mike_E linked to--I bet he has some tips and tricks for this!

Some tanks have it printed on the tank. I don't believe these do. Fill the tank with water until the top of the hanger is covered. Pour this water back into a measuring device, there you have it.

Rick's nick name on the CB Radio is Archimedes.....
QUOTE]
:geek:

Combiplan is an okay system, the only problem is the fill speed is s-l-o-w. Also the teeth on the holder clip wear out.

I've since gone to a jobo 4x5 tank and reels and its a much more durable and reliable system. It also allows you to rotary develop which can come on handy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back