Developing C-41 Color Film w/ D-76 B&W Chemicals

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have never developed film before and I have read that it is best to start off with black and white developing because it is easier than color.

I just bought a large lot of vintage film cameras (over 50 cameras) to clean and sell and there are a lot of half-used rolls of film in them that I will finish using and I want to learn how to develop them. In the lot, there were developing tanks, thermometers and the like.

My question is they are all color C-41 film.
Can I use my D-76 B&W Chemicals that I just got to cross-prosses and develop these?

If yes, are there any specific instructions or issues that I need to be aware of that may be different from developing black and white film?

Also, for people that have done this for years, any tips and tricks you would like to pass along?

This would be my first roll of film ever self-developed and I am excited!! :)

Thanks for your help!

I think you'll end up with blank film.

I tried BW400CN film (a film that is C-41) in black and white developer and it came out blank.

It makes me cringe to think of a newby starting out this way but yes, you can do that.

Google your question and see lots of info on it.

Good advice from Compur. I have processed lots of C41 in D76 with fair to good results. Had a bunch of expired color film so used it to test drive my junk store finds for light leaks and the like so as not to waste pricey BW stock. 8 to 10 min at 20c for D76 stock worked ok. Looks cloudy at first but dries clearer. Scans enough to adjust to a decent image in post.

I have never developed film before and I have read that it is best to start off with black and white developing because it is easier than color.

I just bought a large lot of vintage film cameras (over 50 cameras) to clean and sell and there are a lot of half-used rolls of film in them that I will finish using and I want to learn how to develop them. In the lot, there were developing tanks, thermometers and the like.

My question is they are all color C-41 film.
Can I use my D-76 B&W Chemicals that I just got to cross-prosses and develop these?

If yes, are there any specific instructions or issues that I need to be aware of that may be different from developing black and white film?

Also, for people that have done this for years, any tips and tricks you would like to pass along?

This would be my first roll of film ever self-developed and I am excited!! :)

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you can do that. They will come out as black and white images. They may be be grainy and low contrast if the film is expired (depending on how expired it is).

In general, there's really no good reason to do this as standard practice, but I've done this when I just want to test a camera or do a little experimenting with a new technique, and it's fine. As was said, it's good if you don't want to burn through your better B&W stock.

As some examples, here are a few images from a roll of expired Gold 200, developed in Caffenol (a homemade developer made of instant coffee, washing soda, and Vitamin C powder) shot with a K1000 that I was testing:

Reading
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Silk

Winter afternoon

@limr :could you post a recipe for the Caffenol?

Maybe it was the BW400CN that was not suitable, or perhaps I just got my mix/temp/times wrong. Anyway, I have some expired Gold 200 and will be trying again at some point. Very glad @iKokomo posted this question.

could you post a recipe for the Caffenol?

To make 1l:
100ml washing soda
16ml ascorbic acid
160ml coffee
Add water to make 1l

To make 400ml:
40ml washing soda
7ml ascorbic acid
64ml coffee
Add water to make 400ml.

Washing soda can be found in the cleaning/laundry aisle. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) at a health food store (do not buy flavored type).

To make 1l:
100ml washing soda
16ml ascorbic acid
160ml coffee
Add water to make 1l

To make 400ml:
40ml washing soda
7ml ascorbic acid
64ml coffee
Add water to make 400ml.

Washing soda can be found in the cleaning/laundry aisle. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) at a health food store (do not buy flavored type).

Thanks, Ken. I'll give this a go. How is it used re temps/times/mix?

I have found this resource very useful: Caffenol Recipes, Help, Tutorials | The Caffenol Cookbook & Bible

Reinhold is a Caffenol guru and runs this blog: Caffenol - and here are all the posts with recipes: Caffenol: recipe

He and one of the other authors of the Cookbook have slightly different recipes, which is the difference between the, for example, C-M and the C-M (RS) recipe. I follow the RS recipes.

To make 1l:
100ml washing soda
16ml ascorbic acid
160ml coffee
Add water to make 1l

To make 400ml:
40ml washing soda
7ml ascorbic acid
64ml coffee
Add water to make 400ml.

Temps are 20C/68F. I usually do 14:30, standard agitation.

For mixing, I have found it is better to start with only some water in the container, add the washing soda first because it takes the longest to dissolve. I make sure that it does dissolve first, and then I add the Vit C next. The chemical reaction between the soda and the Vit C usually fizzes the water and heats it up a bit, which is why I start with just part of the water (I usually make it a liter at a time, and will develop 6-8 rolls with it). Then I add the coffee and add the rest of the water at a cold enough temperature that it will bring it back down to 20C by the time I hit a liter.

I have found this resource very useful: Caffenol Recipes, Help, Tutorials | The Caffenol Cookbook & Bible

Reinhold is a Caffenol guru and runs this blog: Caffenol - and here are all the posts with recipes: Caffenol: recipe

He and one of the other authors of the Cookbook have slightly different recipes, which is the difference between the, for example, C-M and the C-M (RS) recipe. I follow the RS recipes.

To make 1l:
100ml washing soda
16ml ascorbic acid
160ml coffee
Add water to make 1l

To make 400ml:
40ml washing soda
7ml ascorbic acid
64ml coffee
Add water to make 400ml.

Temps are 20C/68F. I usually do 14:30, standard agitation.

For mixing, I have found it is better to start with only some water in the container, add the washing soda first because it takes the longest to dissolve. I make sure that it does dissolve first, and then I add the Vit C next. The chemical reaction between the soda and the Vit C usually fizzes the water and heats it up a bit, which is why I start with just part of the water (I usually make it a liter at a time, and will develop 6-8 rolls with it). Then I add the coffee and add the rest of the water at a cold enough temperature that it will bring it back down to 20C by the time I hit a liter.

Thanks for the links and the breakdown of your own method for mixing. I'm definitely going to try this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back