Developing Kodak TechPan Film

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by McManniss, Apr 10, 2008.

1. McManniss

McManniss TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have several rolls of Kodak TechPan and Agfa APX 25 film that i've shot, but have been holding off on developing them.

I've been a little confused as to what type of developer I should use to develop them since development controls contrast, at least for the TechPan, not sure about the Agfa.

Any recommendations for development on these 2 films. I usually do not develop film myself anymore, just take it to a pro lab in NYC (Duggall) and they develop it for me. but in this case I may try to develop it myself if I can get the proper developer.

I just dont want to destroy my film without knowing how to properly develop it.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have first hand experience with either film. I never used them. For Tech Pan, the data sheet from Kodak might be a good way to start as it has a list of different developers to achieve different contrasts. Similar data must be available for APX25 but I don't know where to find it. Sorry.

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I once read where someone concocted a low sulfite, phenidone deverloper for the Techpan to lower the contrast, and bring out as much of it's inherent resolution as possible.

Sulfite in a developer reduces grain, but in doing so, it also reduces resolution. And phenidone used alone will give you a very low contrast negative.

PS I never shot Techpan, so experiment. Also, because of the low sulfite content, it's a one shot.

5. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do not develop the Tech Pan in anything but Technidol or Photographer's Formulary TD3.

You can develop the APX25 in a regular developer, but I would still do it in a very fine developer.

Technidol is still available on ebay and various online stores. TD3 is available from the Photographer's Formulary website.

6. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The choice of developer for Tech Pan is slightly dependent on what speed it has been exposed at.

I used to use Technidol, way way back, but I switched to Rodinal 1+300. I found that needed to be exposed at around EI 16 for good shadow detail. I've also used Xtol 1+5, TD-3, TechXactol (expensive to ship to USA) and Flexcolor (ie C-41 developer). If TechXactol was easier to get in the USA that is what I would use. Failing that Flexcolor (or any C-41 developer, I guess) is good, as is TD-3, which I use most of the time these days.

Xtol 1+3 and Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50 also work for APX 25, in particular Xtol. I tend to use W2D2+ more than Xtol for APX 25.

Best,
    Helen

7. McManniss

McManniss TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the valuable input. When it comes to developers I have very little knowledge.

The TechPan & APX were both exposed at 25 ASA.