Developing my first roll!

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I purchased a small developing tank, reel, and chemicals (for black & white films) at a local photo fair, and I am going to develop my first roll of film!

The chemicals I have are:

Lauder Formula 76 (D76 I presume..) Developer
Lauder L763-1 Fixer
Lauder HCA Hypo
Kodak Photo Flo 200

From what I have gathered talking to people / researching the internet, my process should go like this (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!):

1. Load film onto reel and in tank
2. Pour in developer (68F) and leave in for appropriate time for film, agitating on and off ever 30 seconds.
3. Pour out developer, pour in water and rinse, agitating on and off every 30 seconds.
4. Pour out water, pour in fixer (68F) for 2-4 minutes, agitating on and off every 30 seconds.
5. Pour out fixer, pour in water and rinse, agitating on and off every 30 seconds.
6. Pour out water, pour in hypo (7 parts water, 1 part hypo concentrate) and agitate on and off every 30 seconds for 1 - 2 minutes.
7. Pour out hypo, pour in water and rinse for 5 minutes agitating on and off every 30 seconds.
8. Add a few drops of Photo Flo and agitate for 10 seconds or so.
9. Pour out chemicals, remove film, squeegee off liquid, and hang to dry.

Is this on the right track? I'm going develop an old roll of Tmax 100 for my first try.

I use Stop Bath instead of water after the developer and I don't use Hypo.

Stop Bath is cheap and easy.
Hypo is good if you want to conserve water during washing.

Developer
Stop Bath
Fixer
Wash
Photoflo
Dry

If memory serves me correctly, HCA is used more for removing fixer (hypo) from prints.
I also always used stop bath instead of water

Your process sounds about right, but I think what you're refering to as "hypo" is actually Hypo Clearing Agent...HCA. Hypo is actually in fixer and the HCA is used to clear the hypo in the fixer. I never used it on film. Just prints.

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly, HCA is used more for removing fixer (hypo) from prints.
I also always used stop bath instead of water

Your process sounds about right, but I think what you're refering to as "hypo" is actually Hypo Clearing Agent...HCA. Hypo is actually in fixer and the HCA is used to clear the hypo in the fixer. I never used it on film. Just prints.

The bottle does say Hypo Clearing Agent, you're right.

I use Stop Bath instead of water after the developer and I don't use Hypo.

Stop Bath is cheap and easy.
Hypo is good if you want to conserve water during washing.

Developer
Stop Bath
Fixer
Wash
Photoflo
Dry

I neglected to buy Stop Bath, would using water work the same way?

I've heard of the vinegar treatment but never tried it myself. You'll also see the internet is full of advice on using a water rinse. I really can't say because I always used stop bath.

Last edited:
Vinegar would work as they are both an acid ... 2 oz per quart should work just fine.... I have done this many times... even for paper

What kind of vinegar? Would rice vinegar work?

How would I compensate fixing times if I use water instead?

Rice vinegar would work, it's lower on the acid level but would still work fine. But I personally wouldn't use it because it costs like 3X more than plain white vinegar...

Your fixing time would be the same, the only change is the stop bath would be 30 seconds vs a longer wash if you use water instead of stop.

Well I developed the roll and it is completely clear. The frame numbers show, and there is a black leader. But the film itself all the way through is entirely clear. Did I do something wrong, or did I just inadvertently develop a roll that had no pictures on it?

If all of the film were clear, that would be caused by improper development, but since you can see the frame numbers and a black leader, it sounds like you developed an unexposed roll.

Developed another roll, successfully! Can't wait to scan these :D

gsgary said:
How did you manage to develope a roll that was not exposed you plonker

I ask myself the same question, especially considering there was no leader sticking out and it was in a canister that said "Develop Me" on the lid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back