Developing my own film

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have just developed my first roll of B&W film. Here are a few shots from the roll. What do you think? It's a lot easier to develope than one would think. If I knew it was this easy I would have done it years ago. I used Kodak TMax. I am going to try TriX next.
Cosmo

clocktowerdev02.jpg

bustedwindows.jpg

hobosdev10.jpg

hobodev01.jpg

Nice work, Cosmo! Welcome to the dark side of photography! :D

If you get a chance, try processing that TriX in some Rodinal. I believe it is available again. Another film you might try is Fuji Neopan 400. Before I went completely digital, I was using the Neopan exclusively and developing it in Rodinal.

Film developing is fun, isn't it? And not nearly as hard as it looks.

Your 3rd one has a greenish cast to it. While not distracting, you can't really call it black and white, hee hee.

#1 is a bit too muted and without any good highlights you expect in black and white.

My favorite is #2. The geometric destruction is very interesting and eye-catching.

Not bad for your first try, but I wouldn't have guessed it was Tmax.
TMax is usually very contrasty and these have turned out a little flat.
But practice makes perfect!
Find the film thats right for you and then keep using that one for a while.
It will really show you how you can push and pull on a single type of film to get the different effects.
Sometimes jumping between films at the start can throw you a little, as they all have different properties.

Thanks Everyone, Your critiques will really help me. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Cosmo

Most reactions

Back