developing price

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by den9, Oct 5, 2009.

1. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

how much would it cost to have film developed and put on a sheet and look at it with a eye peice thing. i think its called a slide. i couldnt find any services online that does this. i want to do this so i can choose what picture i wanted to print, instead of printing all of them.

maybe not a slide, but a giant peice of photo paper with little photos on it, then you choose what one you want printed full size. :confused:

2. Actor

Actor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's called a contact sheet.

It's called a loupe.

As a strategy for saving money this usually does not work. Labs charge more for prints when you take negatives to them and say "I want this, this and this" than they do for making prints of all frames at the time the negative is processed.

Of course, if you are doing your own darkroom work, this is a great way to decide which frames are worth a sheet of paper.

3. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

well i was going to have them develope the film, then i was going to choose what i wanted printed off the contact sheet. would this be cheaper than having them print all 36 exposures?

4. cooltouch

cooltouch TPF Noob!

Probably not. Nowadays, when you get film developed, the processor includes an index card, which is basically a 4x6 contact sheet. It's useful for checking which photo is which, but it's useless for determining sharpness, for example. So, if you order neg development + index card, and then try to select the prints from the index card, you may not be happy with the results.

Hey, were're not talking a whole lot of money here. My local Costco will develop and print a 24-exposure roll of 4x6s for five bucks. About six bucks for a roll of 36. So my advice is just do what everybody else does and get prints done, then select the ones you like for extras or enlargements.

5. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

I was going to get my film developed at a camera shop, I was hoping they would do a better job than a pharmacy. This would be mostly black and white photos so I'm assuming it will cost 3x more than 5 bucks. I have a feeling this whole film hobby is going to be alor more expensive than I though.

6. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are considering shooting a lot of film [I assume you're using 35mm], you might wish to keep the cost/frame down by

1. bulk loading, and

2. developing the film yourself, and

3. making your own contact prints.

All of these are relatively simple processes. Information on #'s 2 and 3 are available on this site as articles.

7. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

What is bulk loading? I never shot film before, just picked up a 35mm and been waiting to purchase a lens. I would like to use it a lot but I don't think I can afford that.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    You could try having the film scanned and then do post on the shots you like. Then upload those files to Mpix or someplace.

If you need hi-res files then you can scan the negs later with a flatbed scanner (one that's made to do it) if you like- a decent one is inexpensive.

9. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

Well how much would it cost to have the film developed and just get the negatives? Roughly.

10. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

^ Depends where you go. I have a little lab near me that will process-only
    a roll of color print film for about $3

Not all labs will do process-only so you need to ask around

11. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I stopped scanning my own color film and just started paying 3 bucks to get development + a disk (with medium resolution scanning) from my local Target one-hour lab. They also give me a little contact sheet with the cd, which seems to be what you wanted anyway..

Their scanning is pretty good for my purposes. The color shots in this set are all from Target
    Leica M6 - a set on Flickr

12. cooltouch

cooltouch TPF Noob!

For future reference, since you mentioned black&white, you can buy Kodak BW400CN black&white negative film which can (must actually) be developed using C-41 chemistry. This means that you can take it to any place that develops color print film. This will save you money over having to get B&W developed at a custom lab.

If you are a purist, and want to use B&W film emulsions, then I recommend you invest in a developing tank and reel, a changing bag, chemicals, and the containers to hold them. All this might cost you upwards of $100 (much less if you buy used), but it will end up costing you a small fraction per roll to develop your film compared to a custom lab. It is not a difficult process, and if you're careful and neat, you will get good results.

Then you can scan your negs and print out or post online the ones you like. Or take the negs to a custom lab and pay a good chunk of change for B&W prints.

The film hobby is most definitely not an inexpensive one, if you pursue photography in any sort of serious manner. Not quite as expensive as amateur auto racing, but close at times.