Devil's Lake, WI

loopguru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What a winter it has been. Average Temp Jan 7th when these photos were taken: 11c ! Amazing. It should be around -14c.
dsc0091xm7.jpg

dsc0022yr0.jpg

dsc0073ko9.jpg

dsc0072no7.jpg

dsc0131dt9.jpg

Are these from the top of the bluff on the south shore of the lake? I love that park.

Beautiful pictures!

My apologies, I think you took these exactly Oposite of where I first thought!

Some great treatments there! First one is my fave, looks nice in that tone...

As for the park, never been there but have always wanted to go. Is it worth the drive from Chicagoland area?​

@Buddhabuddha : These are from the west trail.

@LongDucDong : It was my first trip there and I was very impressed with park. It very quiet and there were many vantage points that offered near 180° views. Just hop on I-90 till the cows come home and eventually your there.

The park is great, not only is it very very quiet, it has great hiking, Awesome climbing and bouldering, and the water is clear due to NO motorized boats allowed. (the ranger does however have a motorized one).

I do a triathlon there every year, so I am kinda biased.

i really like this series. the perspective is great, really gives you a 'top of the world' feeling.

STUNNING AMAZING FANTASTIC
loved the lot of them, the tones were spot on for those shots

The park is great, not only is it very very quiet, it has great hiking, Awesome climbing and bouldering, and the water is clear due to NO motorized boats allowed. (the ranger does however have a motorized one).

I do a triathlon there every year, so I am kinda biased.

If you know of other stunning vantage points do share. We plan to visit again once the weather permits. I am hoping to visit the park during the evening and get a full moon capture. Only problem is park closes at 11. How strict are the rangers?

If you know of other stunning vantage points do share. We plan to visit again once the weather permits. I am hoping to visit the park during the evening and get a full moon capture. Only problem is park closes at 11. How strict are the rangers?

well the other side of the park (directly across the lake) has a hiking trail that ends right on the very top of the bluffs. (you actually stand up top facing directly BACK across from where you were) The view from the other side may offer a different perspective. The cliffs/bluffs on the side that you shot FROM are much more shear, and there are less trees etc. So, the view from the other side is much different. I will say though, you have a 180 view from the west trails, and you do not from the other side, the lake kinda Wraps around the other way.

loopguru,

how wide is your lense? (and is there a multiplication factor going on in camera)
The reason i ask is: i think the smile of trees around the bottom of the frame works really well and also i'm not really sure how big the lake is as a result.

I was there this summer and found a large stick insect. cool place, but in the summer there were a lot of people. It was cool to be on a bluff and see vultures (and an eagle) circling below you.

I am using the Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 prime in all of the shots except for the colour shot. The multiplication factor is standard 1.5x Nikon APS (Equiv. 15mm focal range)

loopguru,

how wide is your lense? (and is there a multiplication factor going on in camera)
The reason i ask is: i think the smile of trees around the bottom of the frame works really well and also i'm not really sure how big the lake is as a result.

Love the mood of all of these :)

Most reactions

Back