Dia Scanners: Nikon Ls2000, Minolta Scan Dual III or Benq/Acer ScanWit 2740S

kaneelschep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all.

My father was a keen amateur photografer and always carried his minolta everywhere.
The minoltas got newer and better, but the dias never disapeared. Up until we got him a sony alpha 350 in the 2000 somewhere. Wich I still use today.
So now we have about 5000 dias of our family life wich I would very much like to digitize and see.
he started it with vuescan and silverimage and some primefilm 1800. wich I completely hate since it doesnt work more often than it works. Quality is also not to my liking.

Now I do not really have a big budget, but luckely we have a big second hand market here.
Allready read a lot about possibilities and that to get any quality, you need the names.
Nikon, minolta, braun, canon, etc
And to get if affordable, you need the older ones.

So I found three on the market now wich qualify.
Minolta Scan Dual III
Nikon LS 2000
Benq/Acer ScanWit 2740S

The Scsi is not a problem.
Wich one is the obvious choice here?
Even with the nikon only scanning one slide at a time. The minolta having no ice. And the Benq called flimsy.

Thanks a lot!

The LS 2000.

Joe

I'd agree with Ysarex. I beleive the Nikon LS 2000 was more-expensive than the Minolta model was. And the Nikon does have the Digital ICE type technology.

The nikon was definetely the most expensive. 3 times the price of the others. But it is the oldest. Maybe thats a factor in that. Specwise these scanners are almost the same too. 2700dpi. Ice infrared 36bit for the benq and nikon. 48bit minolta.
But i do t have the experience. I was just hoping the autoloaders wouldbe good too.

So if you say nikon. I believe it.
But can you tell me why?

I got the nikon and the minolta. The sellers lived close to each other. And I think they will never be worth less than what I paid.
I will see what results I get. If I have the time I will post some pictures as reference to their capabilities. ;)

2017-02-11-0001.jpg
2017-02-11-0002.jpg
Horsy looking right is the minolta.
Horsy looking left is the nikon.
Both with their filters for fading and color upgrading on.
Nikon with ice on at light.
These are 32 year old unbranded dias and film.
Picturewise I actually like them both very much.
The minolta colour upgrade tends to be a bit too colourfull for my taste.
But sometimes the nikon is a bit pale.
If the minolta would have had ice they would be very close together.
Without it, it is just too much work to use for quality prints.

Nikon scan has better resolution -- that's the keeper.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back