diana

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Stud_Pilot, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Stud_Pilot

Stud_Pilot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have recently been practicing with my diana lomo camera, and have been experimenting with the pinhole technique. My problem is that i dont get the desired "pinhole" effect (there is no vignetting around the edges), and every single one of my images is blurry, not from not being held still, but just out of focus. the problem is, there is no lens when shooting pinhole, so how do you get something in focus?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The ratio of the numerical aperture to the film plane defines the focus I think, and the depth of field should be close to infinity if the hole is sufficiently small. I'd say your film is either too close or too far from the pinhole effect.

By the way pinhole lenses are like every other lens in that they cast an image circle. I remember some photographers made a massive 5m high x ludicrously wide panorama inside an aircraft carrier using a "pinhole" (more like a basketball hoop hole), your 35mm would show no vignetting then either ;-)

I believe the wikipedia article may have the required math.

3. fame game

fame game TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know this must be really obvious question but I honestly cannot seem to get the lens off of my diana! I'm trying to shoot with the pinhole.. I set the aperature to P and the shutter to B like the manual says. The lens won't budge at all and I don't want to force it. Any suggestions??

4. DavidElliot

DavidElliot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this might help you [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUXdZAT3wM]YouTube - How to Remove the Diana+ Lens[/ame]

5. kaiy

kaiy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first time you remove your Diana lens will be the hardest. You must grip the lens barrel firmly and give a short and sharp twist. I say short, because the lens only needs to rotate about 1 cm. It will seem like it doesn't want to move at all, so you will have to apply just enough force to overcome the friction fit.

I made a youtube video demonstrating how to do this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUXdZAT3wM]YouTube - How to Remove the Diana+ Lens[/ame]

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    these cameras look interesting... where can i find one???

7. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

ebay is flooded in them I believe. They're classed as toy camera's, dirt cheap, generally flawed but can produce very interesting images and have an avid following.

8. fame game

fame game TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thank you so much! it was comforting to know it's hard to get off because I was brave enough to crank the lens. Diana's make me nervous because they're so cheap and made of plastic. Anyway, thanks again!