Diane Arbus "Identical Twins" Discuss

why does it intrigue

why does it intrigue

To me, it's because of an emotional contrast- there's a conflict that isn't resolved, at least under the surface. Wierd. I like to look at it.

In my thoughts, this is a very good shot. As Rick said, it gets people thinking. With my shots, I like when I can steal time from people and get them to study the shot, to figure out if they like it or not. The longer the better. Clench them in the gut somewhere/how. This does with the twins what I would like to do with scenery and static oddities.

Here's a page from a link that IronFlatline posted awhile back. The links on this page freak me out.

http://www.simenjohan.com/x/2000_2001/index.htm

(BTW, I think the pyschotic-looking kid is my evil little nephew).

I find the work, although mildly disturbing, inspirational. This shot too.

why does it intrigue

Personally due to the fact that it is not obvious in any shape or form. The obvious conclusions drawn about the picture by most, (pair of twins etc) are actually the opposite of what it represents.

Things that are difficult to understand are generally intriguing!!!

If you look at it and go "so what" IMO you just don't get it and are not willing to look into why you dont get it. That is absolutely your prerogative I have no problem with anyone who wants to do that.

Personally I enjoy this side of photography and understanding!

To me, it's because of an emotional contrast- there's a conflict that isn't resolved, at least under the surface. Wierd. I like to look at it.

In my thoughts, this is a very good shot. As Rick said, it gets people thinking. With my shots, I like when I can steal time from people and get them to study the shot, to figure out if they like it or not. The longer the better. Clench them in the gut somewhere/how. This does with the twins what I would like to do with scenery and static oddities.

Here's a page from a link that IronFlatline posted awhile back. The links on this page freak me out.

http://www.simenjohan.com/x/2000_2001/index.htm

(BTW, I think the pyschotic-looking kid is my evil little nephew).

I find the work, although mildly disturbing, inspirational. This shot too.

I checked out the work on that link, wow, that's some pretty insane stuff. Some of them struck me as interesting, some scary, some funny, some all three. The one of the kid on the tricycle pulling some stuffed dog or something, that one is my favorite. By far.

Abraxas are you familiar of the work of Loretta Lux, again mildly disturbing but for slightly different reasons... Have a look if you haven't.

Lux LINK

It was just the freeky kids that reminded me of her!!

You know, Loretta Lux is another interesting photographer.

I first saw her stuff a couple of years ago in Aperture magazine.

At first glance, the very intricate photos are elegant and lovely to look at, but the more you look, the more disconcerting they become. And they seem to take on a sinister look somehow, almost like looking at dolls or almost like the children are dead.

However she does her PP, it is downright creepy to look at her stuff. But once again, once I start viewing her work, it is hard to stop looking at it. ;)

Loretta Lux's work is pretty intense stuff. Simplistic in many ways, but sometimes that's the way things should be. She's definitely an interesting photographer.

bapp, he is talking about The Shining by Stephen King, and probably in particular, the movie of the same name by Stanley Kubrick.

The Arbus girls do bear a remarkable resemblence to the pair in the movie.

And bapp, spell redrum backwards and you will get the meaning.;)

bapp, he is talking about The Shining by Stephen King, and probably in particular, the movie of the same name by Stanley Kubrick.

The Arbus girls do bear a remarkable resemblence to the pair in the movie.

And bapp, spell redrum backwards and you will get the meaning.;)

Ohhh I thought it was some reference to the Horse!

As far as I am aware there similarities are no coincidence, I remember reading somewhere it was Kubrick's tribute to Arbus.

bapp, I think that you are being too quick to curl your lip at the term "snapshot". The vast majority of photography is all about the snapshot.

Ms. Arbus was/is famous and deservedly so but the shot you offered up for consideration shows to be little more than a quick though well crafted capture of a scene you would find in everyday life -a snapshot!-.

We have been around the discussion of the two sides of the snapshot in this section before but I suppose we could go again if you like.

The two sides are -in a nutshell- essentially described by either a populist or an elitist view of photography.

That good photography can only be the graphing of a manipulated portion of reality would be the elitist view. And the populist view would be that good photography can also include a well crafted but still serendipitous capture.

I give a nod to the elitists but am firmly in the populists' camp and hence- to me it is a snapshot that is nicely done.

mike

REDRUM!!!!!

That's funny, I thought of 'The Shining' first when I saw that photo. Glad I'm not the only obscure one.

Personally, if it was in a group of other photos I would have completely overlooked it.

Most reactions

Back