Diane

jdunphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jacobdunphy.com
Yesterday was a landmark "photo day" for me. It marked the first time I was actually able to walk up to a person on the street and ask them if I could take their picture. It's something I've been wanting to do for a couple months, but I just haven't had the courage to approach someone like this before.

This is Diane:

2006_09_30_6.jpg

I learned that she spent most of her life in North Carolina even though she was born in San Diego. She moved to Pasadena about 9 years ago. She used to play drums in the 70s and has a son around my age who plays the drums as well. I learned all of this and more in a 10 minute conversation I had with her. It was a very liberating experience to be able to just walk up to someone and talk to them. The entire time I've ridden the bus, I've probably conversed with two people. This is something that I'm going to keep doing.

2006_09_30_7.jpg

good for you jdunphy. I think most people are flattered when you ask to take their photo.

When i go taking photos with my cousin, he just walks right up to random people and asks them for permission to take their picture. They always agree and you can see they are genuinely flattered and happy to be deemed worthy of photographing. I still dont really have the courage to do it as much myself but he has been doing it for years.

nice photos, look forward to seeing more of this type

Yes, this is a nice series. You can see the expression in her face. The story helps too......excellent job!

I really appreciate reading your personal account of the story behind. I had a similar experience some days ago. I was so surprised to see the people I approached seemed not at all surprised by my photo request. I lost my cool in composing the photos afterwards on the spot. I think you did a much better job in realising your project. The photos you posted make me feel warm. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back