Did Adobe LIE?

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
EDIT -

Nothing to see. Move along! Just a dummy who can't read.

From Adobe website -

Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.

So, after the end of the year. That's it for Lightroom on disc! Forced to go to cloud only (if you want support or updates for new camera systems)!

They invented a new stand alone version of Lightroom. For $9.99 a month you get Lightroom CC and 1 terabyte of online storage. Or for $9.99 you still get Photoshop CC/ Lightroom Classic and 20gb of online storage! If you want the new Lightroom and Photoshop your going to pay double $19.99 but includes 1 terabyte of storage and all 3 programs. So basically they made a better Lightroom but if your on the photo plan your not going to get it!

I read past the very first line on Adobe. The new photographers plan with 20gb includes all 3 programs now!

Last edited:
Now I am close to going with the Photography Plan from Adobe. I am still using the standalone version of LR while waiting for something new - its taken them something like 2 years.

So now the Photographer Plan is to include what was called LR CC and Photoshop CC with the 20gb online.

The new LR offering is, to make things confusing, LR CC - with the 1 tb of online storage as the idea is that all the original image files are on in the cloud and allows editing from any device. So this new LR CC addresses the issue that many have asked for in having the ability to edit the same images from multiple devices, the only issue is that the files have to be in the Creative Cloud. This just does not work for me as I am offline very frequently.

I plan to go with just with the usual Photographer Plan. The updated version of LR in this plan looks to finally address some speed issues and has a new Process Version - the change from Version 2010 to 2012 was a very noticeable improvement so I expect great things with this new Process Version.

Now I am close to going with the Photography Plan from Adobe. I am still using the standalone version of LR while waiting for something new - its taken them something like 2 years.

So now the Photographer Plan is to include what was called LR CC and Photoshop CC with the 20gb online.

The new LR offering is, to make things confusing, LR CC - with the 1 tb of online storage as the idea is that all the original image files are on in the cloud and allows editing from any device. So this new LR CC addresses the issue that many have asked for in having the ability to edit the same images from multiple devices, the only issue is that the files have to be in the Creative Cloud. This just does not work for me as I am offline very frequently.

I plan to go with just with the usual Photographer Plan. The updated version of LR in this plan looks to finally address some speed issues and has a new Process Version - the change from Version 2010 to 2012 was a very noticeable improvement so I expect great things with this new Process Version.
Edit -
Nope, I was wrong. Skipped over the very first item in the normal plan!

Last edited:
Just went to Adobe the 9.99 plan is still available with 20mg of online storage
123.JPG

To get the 1 Tb of storage will cost you 19.99
1234.JPG

There's no difference that I can see between the products, just the amount of online storage.

Considering the way other "subscription" service do, I wouldn't be surprised if the rate goes up. Unless they think there's still to many stand alone copies floating around that haven't gone completely obsolete.

Ahhhhh, brings back fond memories of the time of the Adobe announcement that the monthly extortion payment for Photoshop alone would be $50 every single month....

i dont know what all the complaining is about...
with so many alternatives, anyone who doesn't want to pay the monthly fee can simply go elsewhere.
Adobe will know when they have reached the limit of what people are willing to spend on their products.
meanwhile, ill happily keep paying the $10 a month for continually updated LR and PS.
and theres the thing i think people tend to forget...its not $10 a month for LR or PS, its $10 a month for LR and PS. could you really replace both of them with one program? maybe...
but I still like having both of them, and 10 bucks isnt much to shell out every month for them.
i dont use the cloud anyway so i have no need to upgrade.

Doesn't the new plan require LR to put all photos in their cloud? If so, you're going to have to upgrade to the larger cloud for $19.99. No?

Doesn't the new plan require LR to put all photos in their cloud? If so, you're going to have to upgrade to the larger cloud for $19.99. No?

Lightroom Classic CC does not require photos in their cloud. The new Lightroom CC to edit organize share and store anywhere does require photos in their cloud. Seems confusing. If you are using the Lightroom CC that is current right now it is now being called Lightroom Classic CC.

Lightroom Classic CC does not require photos in their cloud. The new Lightroom CC to edit organize share and store anywhere does require photos in their cloud. Seems confusing. If you are using the Lightroom CC that is current right now it is now being called Lightroom Classic CC.
well, that's my point. You only get 20gb for $9.99 and have to buy the $19.99 version that include PS to get the 1TB. So Adobe is really selling you cloud storage in addition to a photo editing program. Maybe, next year they'll add ham and cheese sandwiches to their offering and raise the monthly charge again. :)

What genius named these new branches of lightroom?

Jeez would it have made more sense use more imagination on the letters after besides making them almost identical

Classic is indeed a stupid name for what is current, modern software. The only difference is its not tied into the cloud - but I guess they want to be subtle in guiding users onto their cloud system. And heck given time I can see many users using adobe cloud as their off-site backup

Interestingly, I finally got around to dealing with the "Creative Cloud has one update to install" nag message that's been popping up for a few days now... Once it did, and I updated PS and LR Classic (DUMB name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I saw that I also had the option to install the "new" LR, not 'Try' but install, meaning that it was part of my subscription ($9.99/month). So I could have had both versions of LR as well as PS.

From what I could learn, the editing capabilities aren't enhanced in one over the other, but rather the new version is more geared to on-line/cloud work, 'though you can still save to a local drive if you wish.

@tirediron did it give the option of both, or either or?

Most reactions

Back