Did anyone photograph the Wolf Moon?

OMG, That is so awesome! I would be thrilled with something a 10th of the size. So, those pictures of the moon were they taken with f/4.9, 1500mm? Those are amazing photos. What does Saturn look like through that?

Depending upon the focal length of your telescope you can get great photos of the moon, etc.
This was done on a Meade LX200 which is 3,054mm. Uncropped on a D600 FF camera.
81WN Waning Gibbous 20140814 Illumination: 81%

As mentioned earlier, I used a Meade 90etx initially, with a D7000 camera.
Then upgraded to a meade 125etx, then my current LX200 12" used with a D750/D500.

Here's a 125etx with a D7000. once you start you have be careful. For example the 90etx has plastic gears, whereas the 125etx has metal gears in it's tracking system. Normally you have the camera connected right out the back of the telescope. But these smaller telescopes can't handle the weight in relation to tracking, so putting it in the upright position helps. Though this photo shows the telescope as an OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) only and on top of a tripod. You can see how a flippy screen can come in handy though.
Meade125 with D7000.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was cropped using a D7000 and 125 etx. one image, no stacking.
Jupiter

Last edited:
If you get good at tracking, you can shoot high flying aircraft too.
This one was at about 7-1/4 miles away at 6,100mm, uncropped on a d600 and meade lx200.
atest_aircraft-3-jpg.122035

OMG, That is so awesome! I would be thrilled with something a 10th of the size. So, those pictures of the moon were they taken with f/4.9, 1500mm? Those are amazing photos. What does Saturn look like through that?
The prime focus of the 12" aperture truss telescope is to far from the DSLRs image sensor to achieve focus.
I have to put a 2x Barlow lens on the end of the nosepiece that lets me mount the camera to the telescope focuser to get the prime focus far enough from the telescopes tube to be able to focus the image on the image sensor.
The 2x Barlow effectively doubles the telescope focal length so it is in effect an f/9.8, 3000 mm lens.

Saturn is almost 1 billion miles away.
Even in my 12" Saturn is pretty small.

Most reactions

Back