Did I break the company photo contest?

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I think I 'broke' my company's** photo contest.

They sent out an email and were fairly excited about having a photo contest with multiple categories and said that people could send their photos for each category. They indicated that the winners would be hung on the walls.

They also said the photos could very well be used for proposals (which I read to mean commercial purposes).

Well, I responded immediately asking if we were to going to keep all copyrights of the photos or if we were going to be giving any rights to the company. (I also asked other questions, but they were somewhat irrelevant.)

They said they'd get back to me, but essentially have been silent on the issue. They also removed all known remnants of the contest on the company's network. :eek:

Whoops.

So, I guess I'm asking, what would you have done in this situation? Just ignore it? Ask the question? Ask a different question?

I like the company, I think we 'do good work'. I do feel 'appreciated' at work. But, at the same time, I don't like giving photos away for free when I know they (1) absolutely would use the photos for proposals/etc and (2) wouldn't credit the photographers.

**When I say company, I mean my 350+ person office, not the entire 50,000-employee international company.

My guess is, you possibly ruined something that was meant to be fun and cool if someone won and could see their photo on their website or whatever.

But I wasn't in the situation so I really don't know.

I think this was meant for beginners with cell phones and Walmart special cameras, rather than a 'real' photographer.

oops

^^^^ what Sean said

I think as a photographer and as a person, you need to separate the "photographer you" from the "person you". Thus sometimes just don't complicate things.

I would have gone to one of the originators of the contest and indirectly ask them.
Of course, I wonder if they know the laws associated with it and if they used someone's photo commercially with no contract what could potentially happen.

Oh shoot. I think you're right. I should have just let it be. :hopelessness:

I know some people take it seriously, but the majority probably don't have anything more than their cell phone.

Well, next time, if they have a next time, I won't intrude. haha.

If your "company" wanted to, they could simply let you know personally (and in the terms of the contest) that you would be signing off on the compyrights for these photos and leave it up to you to decide whether or not to participate.

It is very common to sign all rights away when entering photo contests.

I think as a photographer and as a person, you need to separate the "photographer you" from the "person you". Thus sometimes just don't complicate things.

I would have gone to one of the originators of the contest and indirectly ask them.
Of course, I wonder if they know the laws associated with it and if they used someone's photo commercially with no contract what could potentially happen.

Very good point. I should have separated it out. I had sent the question just to the coworker 'in charge' of the event. We work fairly closely, so I didn't mean it really formally, but really as a question. She may have taken it to 'higher-ups', which probably didn't want to get mangled up with the laws relating it.

If your "company" wanted to, they could simply let you know personally (and in the terms of the contest) that you would be signing off on the compyrights for these photos and leave it up to you to decide whether or not to participate.

They didn't have any terms, other than, "hey, put your originals in this public folder here and we'll pick the best ones..."

I guess I'm being hard-headed about it. I mean, I realized that I would be signing away all rights, but I wish they would have at least said something about that instead of staying completely silent. :bull_head::bull_head::bull_head:

Another case of blurred lines -- there are all sorts of "send us your best shot" contests where "winners" get to relinquish rights to their winning photos in exchange for a mention on Facebook or a year of free pizza.

Incidentally, I have a feeling your company was probably interested in licensing photos for commercial use, but probably wouldn't have needed to actually own the copyright. Hopefully, they'll get it sorted out and re-issue the contest. It does seem as though they'll benefit from understanding what rights they're actually requesting from people if they want to use any of the photos commercially, though.

"Buzz Killer"

My guess is, you possibly ruined something that was meant to be fun and cool if someone won and could see their photo on their website or whatever.

But I wasn't in the situation so I really don't know.

I think this was meant for beginners with cell phones and Walmart special cameras, rather than a 'real' photographer.

^This.

The people who wrote up that contest may have had no idea about how copyright works. Your questions may very well have spurred them to look into it and, when they saw the legal ramifications of what they were proposing, they may have decided against it.

Yes, but this was an internal company contest. From the original post I get the impression these things weren't exactly spelled out in the rules.

nope; they werent.

Incidentally, I have a feeling your company was probably interested in licensing photos for commercial use, but probably wouldn't have needed to actually own the copyright. Hopefully, they'll get it sorted out and re-issue the contest. It does seem as though they'll benefit from understanding what rights they're actually requesting from people if they want to use any of the photos commercially, though.

The people who wrote up that contest may have had no idea about how copyright works. Your questions may very well have spurred them to look into it and, when they saw the legal ramifications of what they were proposing, they may have decided against it.

Yes, I think it was a combination of these two... I think they wanted photos for commercial use, but had no idea how copyright worked until I asked the question. They looked into it, and put the brakes on.

Yes, but this was an internal company contest. From the original post I get the impression these things weren't exactly spelled out in the rules.

It's unfortunate that they had absolutely zero terms, rules, etc. They didn't even have a method of judging. I asked about judging and they responded that it would 'most likely' be a 'team of judges' but they 'may change it in the end'. What does that mean? :confused-55:

"Buzz Killer"

:cower:

... their winning photos in exchange for ... a year of free pizza.
Can you please point me in the direction of contests that offer a year of free pizza.

:biglaugh:

:boogie:

Most reactions

Back