Did I buy a demo?

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought a 20d body only camera yesterday. I downloaded the pictures and the first image was titled img_0487.jpg and the 2nd, img_0488 cr2. The clock was already set? None of the packages for the manuals where open, but I cannot tell with the other packages.

If I bought a demo then I think I deserve a serous discount. I could find nothing wrong with the picture but I am not sure as I have never worked with this type of raw images

Any help would be appreaciated.

You are right, at least 486 pictures were taken before you got it. However it will be hard to proof it, I would go back with it rather sooner than later.

Thanks Daniel, I was 99.9% sure.

I think a nice long letter is in order and two copies, one to my lawyer and one to the RCMP. Unless of course they offer me a huge discount, then I will take the chance on a slightly used camera. What would be a fair discount?

Any one else have any ideas or experince, I am all ears. Or am I scr**ed cause as Daniel said it may be hard to prove?

Just out of curiousity, where did you buy this camera body?

yep, someone has taken AT LEAST 480 pictures on it (the counter can be reset, so its hard to tell if there were even more taken)

I will say, I have over 8000 on mine, and it is still working flawlessly.

Anyone have any idea how many pictures they can take before they start falling apart/needing repairs?

I would think they will offer to exchange it for a brand new one free of charge without too much fuss - assuming all your packaging is in the original condition and you have the receipt. Stay calm and explain that the camera has been used before and that you paid for a new one - try not to get into an argument about the proof or otherwise - you're the customer and you're right.

They won't have an easy mechanism to just give you some money from the till and I'd say this is extremely unlikely to happen. Aim for an exchange or a full refund as this should be well within your rights.

Selling returns, warranty cameras or demos as new is not on and your local laws will reflect this, but you shouldn't need to get to this stage as a good shop will exchange it straight away.

Rob

BadRotation said:
Anyone have any idea how many pictures they can take before they start falling apart/needing repairs?

Digital SLRs are rated for shutter actuations. It seems to be pretty hard to get exact hard and fast figures but from what I understand the pro-sumer DSLRs in the 20D/D70/300D class are rated for about 50,000 shutter actuations.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the camera at a small electronic shop(I alway try to do business with small local shops instead of the large chains). In truth I do not think the store or the salesman had known it was used. My temper was a little heated at time.

Good advice Robhesketh. It is going to be a major pain in the butt to exhange. I can see nothing wrong with the camera, not even a hairline scatch and the lens is knew. I will try to settle this in a amiable way. I do think I deserve something, say a 2gig ultra fast card and then call it square? or is that enough?

if you really want something (after already getting an exchange for a new one) you could simply threaten never to shop their again, say you were about to buy a Canon 1Ds MKII from them but have since decided not to, claim you have lots of friends in the business and will never recommend them to anyone, etc etc...that usually works :lol:

anyway, good luck and keep us posted

The larger chains are much better in dealing with matters like this and would be more likely to exchange it. Most have a no haggle guarantee. Even if the counter started at 1 or 2 who said they did not shoot several hundred and just reset the counter. I would bring it back asap but don't expect to much compensation. Its a hard call. If they change it just mark down the s/n so you don't get the same one back zero timed.

I'm interested to hear what happens.

Eric

Cruzin said:
Good advice Robhesketh. It is going to be a major pain in the butt to exhange. I can see nothing wrong with the camera, not even a hairline scatch and the lens is knew. I will try to settle this in a amiable way. I do think I deserve something, say a 2gig ultra fast card and then call it square? or is that enough?

That's mighty big of you, trying to milk this situation at the expense of some small local shop. If you're worried about it being a demo model or a return, just ask for a new one and call it square. Don't be so greedy man.

may not have been a demo but a camera that a staff member(s) borrowed from the store. we did that where I worked. the company actually allowed it as long as we signed papers for reponsibility if something happened to it and didn't open any software or packages in the box. theyre not very smart if they didn't reset it.

Well I am glad I waited for monday to respond. I told the salesman that there must have been some type of mixup with the camera and explained why I thought so. He was surprised and phoned the Canon Rep.

The Canon Rep told him that sometimes the Date is set before shipping as they want to check the firmware upgrades. The picture sequence starts from the card and not the camera, even if the card has been reformated. The company had loaned me a Rebel camera till I could exchange it with the 20D. I took about 480 pictures with the loaned camera on the same memory card , I cannot confirm the amount as I already erased most of the pictures.

If anyone can verify what I have been told to be true or not, please advise me, as I am still uncertain :scratch: ,

Most reactions

Back