Did I buy a demo?

Cruzin said:
Well I am glad I waited for monday to respond. I told the salesman that there must have been some type of mixup with the camera and explained why I thought so. He was surprised and phoned the Canon Rep.

The Canon Rep told him that sometimes the Date is set before shipping as they want to check the firmware upgrades. The picture sequence starts from the card and not the camera, even if the card has been reformated. The company had loaned me a Rebel camera till I could exchange it with the 20D. I took about 480 pictures with the loaned camera on the same memory card , I cannot confirm the amount as I already erased most of the pictures.

If anyone can verify what I have been told to be true or not, please advise me, as I am still uncertain :scratch: ,

Cruzin I was trying to stay out of it, as Like Airic we are in this business(competitors) except on a larger scale. I cracked the seal on my own 20D and indeed the date was preset. Secondly my picutes numbers were reflected of my flash card and not the camera. Hope this helps. The Canon rep is correct.

Canoncan said:
Cruzin I was trying to stay out of it, as Like Airic we are in this business(competitors) except on a larger scale. I cracked the seal on my own 20D and indeed the date was preset. Secondly my picutes numbers were reflected of my flash card and not the camera. Hope this helps. The Canon rep is correct.

Ahhhh, Thank you so much Canoncan, I can rest and take pictures in Peace now. :cheers:

Another possible explanation is that your CF card has been shot 480 shots before - did you use an old CF-card? I thought I had the same problem with you when I got my 300D... and in the end I finally realised the problem - the card I've used was the card I borrowed from my sis's A70 while I'm waiting for my Lexar 4X 512, which has been shot with 2000+ shot! (You should have imagined my embarrassment when I realised that I had wrongly accused the camera company who sold me the 300D for a bargain of being a cheat and sold me a demo. Wrote a lengthy email back to apologize.)

There is a file in your CF card that records your series numbering, according to the Canon manual. Your camera itself don't usually store series-numbering detail. Usually a good indication that a camera is new is when you switch on your digital camera, you have to set your date and time. You can't really be wrong with that, because the clock do not draw power from the main battery, instead has it's own battery contained within the camera body itself. If your retailer used the camera beforehand, your retailer would have to wait for a long time for that clock battery to drain (which then, why the hell would a demo have enough time to drain the clock battery?)... either that or they would need to open the camera body to manually dischage the clock battery (which again might scratch the camera body - and anyone who see a scratch on a *new* camera body will know the truth :D ). In short -there is no foolproof way of using the camera beforehand and sell it to you as if it is brand new.

Most reactions

Back