Did I just lose a film vs digital discussion with my wife

When I decided to get back into this I knew I was going film and at first I debated going 35 or MF, decided I could do both, but would start by gear up with 35 based I what I would shoot most. The camera was a non issue for me, either F4s ( last 35 I owned ) or 5. I had a lead on a "mint" condition F5 and as it turned out the only thing mint about it was the color of some the contacts so I passed.

Then what seemed like weeks of procrastination and " I'm gonna's " on my part lead to the above conversation with my wife which was the short version.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited as hell about the 750 and I'm really looking forward to shooting the crap out of it and besides MF is still on the table, but first it's time to shoot and learn or shoot to learn as a lot of time has passed.

you definitely won getting a new D750.
if your wife is happy having gotten you the camera, it's a double win.
congratultions,
you won twice sir.

If admitting I'm a loser will garner me a free D750........

I'M A LOSER! !!!!

I thought I put forth a pretty good case as to why I wanted to go back to shooting film and she agreed with most all of it and that the stuff I shot was really shape & crisp and detailed enough were she could take a photo ( or two or three ) and combine different elements and do stuff like this with colored pencil
485655_01-1.jpg

^^ my father in laws dog taken in the cockpit of our boat while we were out sailing
Enlightenment.jpg

^^this was two different shots; a sunset and a pelican landing on a piling
jpgImage.jpg

^^ I don't even remember this one

But her issue was too many shots got buried away never to be seen again ( as in the cases above, she did those 10 yrs ago from pictures she found that I shot 15 yrs earlier.

Anywho, her thoughts are that I was stepping backwards ( almost like I said I was going back to cave painting or something ) and if I'm going to do it yet again then stay current.

A couple days past by and she asked again when I was going to pull the trigger and I told her it's a tough choice, what started out as an easy call for me just got complicated.

Last night she asked if she was still allowed to make decisions and I said of course, she said good and handed me a new D750 and said stop BS'n around and go shoot something.

So now I'm as confused as ever, did I really just loose?
Duhhhhhh. Of course you lost the argument. Are you really that nieve to think you could ever win an argument with a woman???
IMG_0443.JPG

Just consider the D750 makeup sex, get the hell out of her hair, do what she said and go shoot something. :biggrin-new:

And don't forget to say the mans prayer in thanks.

I'm a man,
But I can change,
if I have too,
I guess.

Last edited:
say the mans prayer in thanks.

I'm a man,
But I can change,
if I have too,
I guess.

Remember, we're all in this together. I'm pullin' for you..... keep your stick on the ice.

Good ol' Red Green!

I'm a longtime film photographer; I never quit shooting film I just eventually got a digital camera too. Do either/both. You could get a film body to go with the lens(es)... Either way, if you get film developed, get it scanned (or do it yourself) and she can have digital copies of film images, as well as copies of digital photos from a media card. Put it all on an external hard drive and give her that, then you can add to it as you go along so she doesn't have to wait years.

Anyway, film has 'gone' and already come back... so has vinyl.

And if she wasn't family, she'd have to license usage of your photos to create her artwork... lol really! but maybe you don't want to tell her that. But if someone gives you a gift, and it's not your birthday or Christmas, just say thanks and appreciate that someone likes you enough to buy you a present!!

You have to do both (y).

I started film, got into digital, thought to still do both long time... but now It's already few years since I shot film.
Mostly I shoot 1 film a year now. Takes too much time to scan the slides/negatives to make them digital :)

However, fun to do.... You can always think about buying a cheap 5th hand film camera, check out some hip and funky Russian ones like Zorki, Komsomolet, Lubitel, Zenit...

I thought I put forth a pretty good case as to why I wanted to go back to shooting film and she agreed with most all of it and that the stuff I shot was really shape & crisp and detailed enough were she could take a photo ( or two or three ) and combine different elements and do stuff like this with colored pencil
485655_01-1.jpg

^^ my father in laws dog taken in the cockpit of our boat while we were out sailing
Enlightenment.jpg

^^this was two different shots; a sunset and a pelican landing on a piling
jpgImage.jpg

^^ I don't even remember this one

But her issue was too many shots got buried away never to be seen again ( as in the cases above, she did those 10 yrs ago from pictures she found that I shot 15 yrs earlier.

Anywho, her thoughts are that I was stepping backwards ( almost like I said I was going back to cave painting or something ) and if I'm going to do it yet again then stay current.

A couple days past by and she asked again when I was going to pull the trigger and I told her it's a tough choice, what started out as an easy call for me just got complicated.

Last night she asked if she was still allowed to make decisions and I said of course, she said good and handed me a new D750 and said stop BS'n around and go shoot something.

So now I'm as confused as ever, did I really just loose?
Yes you lost because she gave you a D750 and not a Leica MA

Most reactions

Back